ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 21:19:16 -0400
Karl, Susan, et al.,

I recognize option D as a good example of parallelism.  However, parallelism isn't restricted to the single sentence context, where both parts of the parallel structure are included in that sentence.  Consider the following:

Heather and her sister Joanne were both afraid of spiders.  Heather's fear was offset by her deep sense of compassion for vulnerable creatures.  Unlike Heather, who would always put spiders safely outside if she found them in the house, Joanne's fear kept her from going anywhere near the creatures.

While it's a less than polished paragraph--and I'm prepared to be criticized for bad writing, the parallelism extends across two sentences.  Obviously I omitted a second "her sister" to avoid unnecessary redundancy.  (I am prepared to defend that seemingly redundant phrase.)

My point is not that D was bad but that isolated sentences are of limited usefulness in making grammaticality or stylistic judgments.  During the Generative Semantics debates of the early 70s, linguists played around with context-dependent sentences, one of the more tacky of which was

"Spiro conjectures Ex-Lax."

which could, at the time, only be interpreted as a response to a question like

"What does Pat Nixon frost her cakes with?"

I heard the sentence attributed to Jim McCawley, but I can't find documentation of that.  Whoever came up with the sentence, the point is made in an extreme form.  The sentence is simply uninterpretable without at least an inferred context. The test example is far from being so extreme a case, but the argument is pretty much the same.

Herb