ATEG Archives

October 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 2009 01:59:14 -0400
Scott,

When I was teaching high school TEFL in Nigeria in the 60s some of the English texts were still that Latinate.  And I had trouble convincing my principal that the approach made no sense, especially for students who spoke a language without any case marking at all.  He, a native speaker of Yoruba, was sure that Yoruba had case and couldn't understand why I, a recent classics major, didn't get it.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University
Muncie, IN  47306
Date:    Fri, 9 Oct 2009 13:16:06 -0400
From:    Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Delayed info on definitions of the sentence

--------------060901000201070200050809

Bill,
   The neat thing about having such obscure interests is that the books
are almost always on the shelf when I look for them, even if under a
layer of dust. I found myself a little hampered by only a vague memory
of Latin, but thanks much for the heads-up. Your summary seems accurate.
   I was interested, too, in his comment that so many problems came from
the fact that the tradition grew up around a study of Latin, not a study
of a living language. Rhetoric, logic, literary analysis, grammar need
to be separate, but somehow complementary, and that seems, in his view,
not to be happening.
   The idea of a sentence as "complete thought" appears to be a semantic
(or pragmatic) test, but it is being used to develop an intuitive feel
for the minimum syntactic requirement.
    Neither rhetoric nor grammar is well served.

Craig
Spruiell, William C wrote:

> Hey folks --
>

> Weeks ago, we had an exchange on the definition of a sentence as "a
> complete thought," and Beth asked if anyone had ever mentioned a
> source for that definition. I thought I remembered a good discussion
> of it somewhere, but I couldn't recall exactly where. But now, I'm
> **supposed** to be working on program review documents (complete with
> mission statements), so of course I've suddenly remembered the
> reference I was looking for (and have thus provided perhaps the only
> extant example of a mission statement accomplishing anything useful).
>

> It's  Ian Michaels's excellent _/English Grammatical Categories/_ (it
> focuses on English, as the title suggests, but he gives a detailed
> historical background dealing with the grammatical traditions that
> Renaissance England inherited). I'm doubtless oversimplifying the
> description Michaels provides (pp. 38-42), but in general the idea
> that "a sentence expresses a complete thought" appears to be one
> /interpretation/ of a statement made by Dionysius Thrax, a Greek
> grammarian who died around 90 b.c.e. The idea was picked up by
> Priscian, a sixth-century Latin grammarian whose text was one of the
> core books used throughout the middle ages in Church schools (and in
> Europe, those were the only kind, really). With Thrax and even
> Priscian, though, "complete" can be construed as referring to whether
> a group of words accomplishes the speaker's purpose, rather than
> whether it conforms to the more grammatically-based notion assumed in
> the modern definition of sentence. Medieval and Renaissance
> grammarians used several terms for groups of words -- 'oratio,'
> 'sententia' --but none of these conformed strictly to those
> constructions that we'd call sentences, and no others. In some cases,
> 'sententia' could be roughly equivalent to 'statement'.
>

> I'll venture a conjecture, which should not be taken as reflecting the
> views of Michaels (he doesn't discuss developments post-1800): We
> developed a specialized sense of "the sentence" that both shaped and
> was shaped by punctuation patterns, and was keyed to the idea of a
> sentence being a full statement (a subordinate clause, by itself, has
> no truth value). But we kept using a translation of Priscian's
> definition because....that had "always" been the definition (sorry,
> Brad).  And under one interpretation of Priscian's definition,
> intentional fragments would be sentences.
>

> Bill Spruiell
>
> Dept. of English
>
> Central Michigan University

> interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--------------060901000201070200050809

<head>
</head>
Bill,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; The neat thing about having such obscure interests is that the
books
are almost always on the shelf when I look for them, even if under a
layer of dust. I found myself a little hampered by only a vague memory
of Latin, but thanks much for the heads-up. Your summary seems accurate.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I was interested, too, in his comment that so many problems
came
from the fact that the tradition grew up around a study of Latin, not a
study of a living language. Rhetoric, logic, literary analysis, grammar
need to be separate, but somehow complementary, and that seems, in his
view, not to be happening. <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; The idea of a sentence as "complete thought" appears to be a
semantic (or pragmatic) test, but it is being used to develop an
intuitive feel for the minimum syntactic requirement. <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Neither rhetoric nor grammar is well served. <br>
Craig<br>
Spruiell, William C wrote:

cite="mid:[log in to unmask]
l"
 type="cite">
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:purple;
        text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page Section1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.Section1
        {page:Section1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
 <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
of a
sentence as &#8220;a complete thought,&#8221; and Beth asked if anyone had
ever
mentioned a source for that definition. I thought I remembered a good
discussion of it somewhere, but I couldn&#8217;t recall exactly where. But
now,
I&#8217;m *<b>supposed</b>* to be working on program review documents
(complete
with mission statements), so of course I&#8217;ve suddenly remembered the
reference I was looking for (and have thus provided perhaps the only
extant
example of a mission statement accomplishing anything useful).
<o:p></o:p></p>
_<i>English
Grammatical Categories</i>_ (it focuses on English, as the title
suggests, but
he gives a detailed historical background dealing with the grammatical
traditions that Renaissance England inherited). I&#8217;m doubtless
oversimplifying the description Michaels provides (pp. 38-42), but in
general
the idea that &#8220;a sentence expresses a complete thought&#8221; appears
be one <i>interpretation</i> of a statement made by Dionysius Thrax, a
Greek
grammarian who died around 90 b.c.e. The idea was picked up by
Priscian, a
sixth-century Latin grammarian whose text was one of the core books
used
throughout the middle ages in Church schools (and in Europe, those were
the
only kind, really). With Thrax and even Priscian, though,
&#8220;complete&#8221;
can be construed as referring to whether a group of words accomplishes
the
speaker&#8217;s purpose, rather than whether it conforms to the more
grammatically-based
notion assumed in the modern definition of sentence. Medieval and
Renaissance
grammarians used several terms for groups of words &#8211;
&#8216;oratio,&#8217;
&#8216;sententia&#8217; &#8211;but none of these conformed strictly to those
constructions that we&#8217;d call sentences, and no others. In some cases,
&#8216;sententia&#8217;
could be roughly equivalent to &#8216;statement&#8217;. <o:p></o:p></p>
taken
as reflecting the views of Michaels (he doesn&#8217;t discuss developments
post-1800): We developed a specialized sense of &#8220;the sentence&#8221;
that
both shaped and was shaped by punctuation patterns, and was keyed to
the idea
of a sentence being a full statement (a subordinate clause, by itself,
has no
truth value). But we kept using a translation of Priscian&#8217;s definition
because&#8230;.that had &#8220;always&#8221; been the definition (sorry,
Brad).&nbsp;
And under one interpretation of Priscian&#8217;s definition, intentional
fragments would be sentences. <o:p></o:p></p>
interface at: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html">http://listserv.muohio.
edu/archives/ateg.html</a>
and select "Join or leave the list"
href="http://ateg.org/">http://ateg.org/</a>

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 9 Oct 2009 14:16:40 -0400
From:    Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks--this info is very interesting!  (I have a stack of papers waiting =
to be graded right now, so of course I am checking through all my email.  =
What a delight to find such a rewarding message.  I'm going to try to =
track down Michaels' book now.)

Beth

>>> "Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]> 10/08/09 5:21 PM >>>
Hey folks -

=20

Weeks ago, we had an exchange on the definition of a sentence as "a
complete thought," and Beth asked if anyone had ever mentioned a source
for that definition. I thought I remembered a good discussion of it
somewhere, but I couldn't recall exactly where. But now, I'm *supposed*
to be working on program review documents (complete with mission
statements), so of course I've suddenly remembered the reference I was
looking for (and have thus provided perhaps the only extant example of a
mission statement accomplishing anything useful).=20

=20

[...]
In some cases, 'sententia' could be roughly equivalent to 'statement'.=20

=20

I'll venture a conjecture, which should not be taken as reflecting the
views of Michaels (he doesn't discuss developments post-1800): We
developed a specialized sense of "the sentence" that both shaped and was
shaped by punctuation patterns, and was keyed to the idea of a sentence
being a full statement (a subordinate clause, by itself, has no truth
value). But we kept using a translation of Priscian's definition
because....that had "always" been the definition (sorry, Brad).  And
under one interpretation of Priscian's definition, intentional fragments
would be sentences.=20

=20

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English

Central Michigan University=20

=20

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface =
at:

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

End of ATEG Digest - 8 Oct 2009 to 9 Oct 2009 (#2009-210)