ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:37:41 -0400
Bill,
   Any serious look at propositional meaning needs to add attention to
how we qualify those statements as we engage in discussion in the real
world.  "I think" or "I believe" can certainly shade into "It seems to
me "  or "It's possible" as qualifiers.  (Certainly, possibly, perhaps,
maybe, surely... to list just a few obvious and more explicit
qualifiers.) In some cases, they may seem redundant; in others, they may
carry important nuances about relative certainty. We can't look at
writing as if it were written by a machine for other machines, and, in
fact, doubt and uncertainty seem more mature and sophisticated than
black/white assertions when the issues are complex. Among other things,
they offer the readers a place to enter as themselves.  We give
reassurance that the world to us is open.  We are listeners and not just
talkers. From our perspective, it may look one way, but we are not all
knowing. We can offer a perspective without arguing one. We invite
someone in.
   Projected clauses also give the journalist a way to present a
perspective as "fact", at least from her perspective.  "A source close
to the governor said, off the record...."  You can be sued for libel if
you say it yourself, but an accusation can be reported as fact.  You're
off the legal hook, if not the moral one. (Usually).
    Propositions, if worth their salt, rarely get full presentation in a
single sentence. Even proverbs seem to cry out for explication.  The
notion of an essay as presenting a hundred linearly laid out
propositions would be a recipe for disaster.  So how the individual
proposition of the sentence interacts with the larger proposition of the
text (assuming that the text organizes that way) gives us another kind
of lens.
    Propositional meaning is, of course, not the only kind of meaning in
a text.  A sentence fragment may show up because it is doing a different
kind of work, perhaps just restating or emphasizing a perfectly clear
part of a previous statement.  "I was deeply hurt by my father's sudden
death.  Deeply hurt."  It's amazing to me how many times effective
writers are willing to say something again and again.  We simply make
the point more emphatic. Emphasis matters.
    The academic world tends to overvalue thesis driven writing.
 (Anyone writing for the real world needs to master many more purposes
than  argument.)  It may be that traditional grammar overemphasizes
propositional meaning in the same way.  We are then left with no way to
deal with fragments (to give one example) that seem deeply purposeful
and effective.  Luckily, many writers have no problem breaking
conventions when their purpose overrides them.  What we find acceptable
shifts over time.  Some of that is for the best.  Some of it, I'm
afraid, is just a general lack of understanding and attention now that
grammar is out of favor.  Minimalist approaches, even when followed
thoughtfully, leave us picking one problem to deal with and glossing
over the rest.  We don't know how to distinguish careless error from
creative solution.
   If I say "I'm hoping you will let me apologize for my terrible,
inexcusable behavior last night," is that a proposition?  It seems to me
that tone takes over, that what the writer intends is a mending of
relations.  (Though we can't be sure of that outside of context.)
   All of these are observations that carry us away from "pure logic."
As everyone seems to be saying, natural language is much more
resourceful, in part because it has so much more to accomplish.

Craig