ATEG Archives

January 1999

From:
Judy Diamondstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:31:46 -0000
Johanna and all, As a newmember to ATEG, I am very grateful to
find a community of similar concerns. I understand that ATEG
members hold divergent views of grammar and grammar insruction;
however, the umbrella apparently includes those that are dear
to me, that have proved useful in my (limited) experience teaching
teachers. I would be very interested in helping in any way
with the SSS committee projects. I hope that Johanna and other
SSS committee members on email will continue to use the list
to brainstorm. And in the meantime, I thank Johanna for the
numbered position statements, all of which seem fine to me.
I especially like that the list begins with a concern for the
_purpose_ of teaching grammar, that sentence level forms are connected
up with text level meanings, and that objectivity prevails over
standards for standards' sake. I would be happy to help with
the information gathering task on the issue of state standards
documents.

Judy

At 05:16 PM 1/27/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I have two things to comment on in this message, so forgive its length.
>
>#1 Participle/adjective 'chains'
>This is a case where I really wish I had a copy of QUIGLS** on my shelf. I
>have a feeling they must address this issue.
>
>**Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech and Svartvik Comprehensive Grammar of English.
>
>There seems to be some interesting stuff going on with placement after the
>verb -- it seems to depend somewhat on what kind of verb you've got:
>
>-My friends returned to camp bleeding and limping.
>-My friends returned to camp exhausted and sleepy.
>-*The campers devoured the meal hungry and thirsty.
>-The campers devoured the meal, slurping and smacking their lips.
>
>I don't feel good about the last sentence without the comma.
>
>Why do participles seem 'verbier' than other single-word noun modifiers?
>In Cognitive Grammar (a fancy newish theory of grammar), the reason would
>be something called 'scanning'. A participle's meaning consists of a
>'frame-by-frame' scan of the process the verb portrays (even 'smiling' has
>a hint of duration about it -- for me at least). This is not true of
>adjectives or past participles, which designate states, whether or not
>they are the result of a process. (Consider not only words like 'insulted'
>but also words like 'long-legged', 'bearded' or 'red-headed', which are
>not derived from verbs at all). States don't involve frame-by-frame
>scanning.
>
>As to Burkhard Leuschner's analysis of a participle as a 'very short
>sentence', he seems to be appealing to a transformationalist analysis
>under which participles have to be viewed as the product of some kind of
>ellipsis operation which deletes the rest of the sentence. This isn't the
>only view of grammar that is out there. Transformationalist views have
>varied widely, going as far as saying that even pre-noun adjectives are
>derived from clauses. There are also now theories which argue that there
>are no 'deep structures', and that, whatever the history of a construction
>like 'bleeding and limping' might be, it is no more or less than it is 'on
>the surface'. The fact that they can be paraphrased as clauses doesn't
>distinguish them from adjectives within noun phrases, which can be
>paraphrased with relative clauses or separate sentences, for that matter.
>
>As to these having  nothing to do with modifying, I have to dispute that
>on its face. After all, we know which noun phrase in the sentence to
>relate the participles to, that is, we know which ones they modify. Maybe
>Burkhard has a different definition of modification.
>
>#2-----------On grammar teaching--------------------
>Don't worry, Ed; the games may begin. You wrote:
>
>" In order to develop some suggestions about grammar in the curriculum (scope
>and sequence), what questions do we want to ask, and how is the best way
>to get the answers?"
>
>Here are some questions and position statements:
> [...]

Judith Diamondstone  (732) 932-7496  Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183

Eternity is in love with the productions of time - Wm Blake