ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:57:16 -0400
Herb, et.al.,
   Unfortunately the debate comes to down to whether or not we are willing
to enforce "standards" and not down to what sorts of standard we are
aiming at. When standards are slipping at the local country club, that
might mean they are letting in Jewish or African-American or Latino
members. I hope most of us would see that as progress.
   One reason grammar lost standing with writing teachers is that it did
come to be associated with imposition of fairly arbitrary standards,
many of them class based.  >
   Paul rather valiantly turns our attention toward "critical thinking",
with details from his main interest, drama. When students have
knowledge about language (or lack that knowledge), we can use that as a
resource (or feel frustrated at being unable to use it)in so many
contexts.
   I have a good friend who trains writers for small town newspapers that
she publishes (very high turnover), and she tells me her biggest
problem is that writers don't know how to think of a reader when they
write. That is certainly a critical standard for a newspaper, and I
would venture to say that knowledge of language is very useful for
that.
   My father, bless his soul, a lover of words his whole life, often
"corrected" my language without much respect for how dangerous it was
to talk that way in a blue collar world.
   It seems to me that the movement toward informality in writing is a
very welcome change. I don't have so many students asking me if it's OK
to use "I" in a paper or if it's OK to use contractions. When someone
says "firstly", it seems to me like they are trying to write a foreign
language. I would rather have my students relax and then ask them to be
clear and thoughtful and interesting and so on, which require an
enormous attention to language and an enormous committment to the
project.
   That doesn't mean that some of our standards--punctuation in
particular--aren't highly functional.
   For many writing teachers, attention to superficial standards is what
they associate with grammar, and we all suffer because of that. It
doesn't help to have the word "standards" used in such a narrow way.

Craig

Peter,