ATEG Archives

January 2001

From:
Hindy Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:54:33 -0500
What does it take to leave this site? I have tried to unsubscribe for
months now, but to no avail. Although some of the topics are most
interesting, I am irritated by the self-serving, smug style of some of your
participants. They remind me of myself some 30 years ago as a know-it-all
"expert" (redundant, perhaps, but you get the picture!) when I first
attended university. I'm too old to wade through incomprehensible gibberish
designed to confuse, and which shows off a minimum awareness of the basics
needs of our students. Instead of hypothesizing about different theories,
here's a new one for you all...teach  kids to read, write, and function in
an ever-confusing world!!

Please stop flooding my e-mail with your discussions. I'd much rather read
the latest Bill Clinton joke (shock! horror! a conservative Republican!!)

Thank you.

P.S. any grammatical/syntax errors are all mine!

At 05:45 AM 1/11/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I was taught diagramming in college--the honors program did no grammar
instruction in high school; I believe the assumption was that we already
knew it.  I find diagramming an interesting method of allowing the logical
sequential learner another means of understanding the structure of our
language.

>You mention tree diagrams.  I am intrigued.  Are there books out there on
these?  What would you recommend?  I tend to think the more tools in my
belt, the more students (and different styles of learners) I can reach.