ATEG Archives

November 2005

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:34:55 -0500
Linda and Tim:

I'm going on memory here, and it will take a while to find the
reference, but I believe it is not unusual for Southern Coastal and
Southern Midland speakers to use verbs in the progressive that
traditional grammars typically say aren't -- e.g. "I was liking that
movie until the plot twist." I think all American English speakers will
do this under certain conditions, but in Southern, it's particularly
unmarked. I've seen arguments relating it to the influence of
Scots-Irish, but there's quite a fad for explaining things via
Scots-Irish, so I'm not sure how strong the evidence is.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English
Central Michigan University