ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:56:16 -0400
> Bruce,
   Opening the sentence with a participial word group is actually very
common. I'm not sure why my gleaming sentence seems awkward. It's
certainly not dangling, since the new car is doing the gleaming.

"Carrying packages, limping noticeably from the earlier injury, he worked
his way carefully up the stairs."

Here's an example from John McPhee: "Coming down a long, deep, green pool,
we looked toward the riffle at the lower end and saw an approaching
grizzly."
Here's my alternate version:
"The two men in the lead canoe, coming down a long, deep, green pool,
looked toward the riffle at the lower end and saw an approaching grizzly."

Restrictive version: Anyone coming down the long, deep pool saw the grizzly.

To me, it's easiest to say that these nonrestrictive structures are
movable than it is to say the the funtion shifts, especially for begining
students. I also think we should be consistent with present and past
participle. I'm not sure why a sentence opening past participle clause
would be adjectival, but a present participle structure in the same
position would be adverbial. The main difference is in passive versus
progressive in the verb.

Craig

Craig,