ATEG Archives

October 2013

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2013 09:23:10 -0700
I would be careful about applying the term "subjunctive" too loosely for an unreal situation. That's rather like calling any sentence where the subject isn't the agent a passive voice. Rather than talking in terms of unreality, it might be more helpful to think about epistemic, deontic, and dynamic modality (see the Cambridge Grammar of the English Language for more detail).

In the most obvious reading (at least the one that seems most salient to me) both "would" and "could" have dynamic modality. In other words, we're referring to qualities and attitudes of the subject (Adam). Relative to the basic time described (in the prelapsarian garden), "would" indicates that the declaration has yet to occur. Presumably, he will be making this declaration after the fall, when the threat of loss becomes real.

The big contrast that I see here is less between factuality and unreality as between declaration and belief. The first line suggests that there is a possibility Adam could say something that he doesn't believe (i.e., lie), even if he's not doing it in this case. That possibility reinforces the notion that the speaker's stance is one of reflecting back upon the garden from the fallen world.

You can probably sketch out alternative readings in which "would" is epistemic (i.e., indicating that this is a conclusion of the speaker rather than direct assertion of truth), and "could" is deontic (giving permission), although they seem to me to make less sense in context.

The expression "Be that as may be" is subjunctive, but it's also a fossilized idiom. Everything else is declarative, but I don't see this poem as an ironic violation of Frost's statement, as they hardly constitute "simple" declarative sentences. Their syntax is reasonably complex, with embedded clauses and phrases displaced from their ordinary order.

Karl