ATEG Archives

October 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2010 14:40:10 -0400
  Brett,
     I never quite bought in to the Huddleston and Pullum suggestion
that we treat these as prepositions in all instances. But there is a
logic to it that is parallel to seeing a noun phrase as noun phrase even
when it's adverbial in function. It may make sense, though, to think of
them as complements (ratheer than modifiers) if only because they don't
work for all adverbs, or even for all adverbs derived from
prepositions.* "many years until."* "Many places to." We can say "many
steps down" or "two stops beyond." Or "a whole month away" (this last
one pure adverb, I think.) There may be more, but it seems to me they
somewhat constellate around time and space, giving us extent or duration
or range.
    I don't think it helps to protect students from  frustration by
oversimplifying our categories. Students in college are always surprised
to learn that a noun phrase can be adverbial, but they don't seem
confused when you introduce them to the idea. I suspect that would be
true in the lower grades as well.

Craig