ATEG Archives

June 2011

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 03:21:13 +0000

Karl,

For "supposed," I was assuming -- and now that you've made me think about it, I'm wondering if this is a false assumption -- that speakers don't normally use a representation/processing strategy for the "supposed to" construction that requires tagging the -ed as a suffix. That's what I meant by "fused." The meaning of "supposed" here is so divergent from the meaning of "suppose" as a regular verb that I want to treat them as separate lexical items (and that was the connection with "used to" -- I want to treat that "use(d)" as a different lexical item from the "use" that's paraphrasable as "utilize," at least in terms of what I think goes on in modern speakers' heads). Since you can get non-participles in the "be ____ to" kinda-modal frame (e.g. "be about to," "be able to"), and since you *only* get that particular "supposed" in the -ed form, it's ripe for reanalysis. It's my structuralism showing -- if the form doesn't contrast with one without the -ed, the -ed isn't marking anything (except now, it has become a marker of literacy/education, and can so is potential fodder for hypercorrections). It started as a participle, but it's not in complementary distribution with any non-participle version of the same lexeme.

Or to put it another way, I think many, if not most, speakers grow up initially thinking what others on the list have described: there's a word "suppohs," or even "supposta." And then school tells them they have to spell it fancy. They may add a new representation (in the same way that students who have a unit on Greek and Latin prefixes can add additional representations of words they already know), but that's not what they use for normal processing. For "supposed," the fused version gives you results that make everyone happy (unless you don't get the part about the writing the silent -d), so you even if you add a new representation, there's no practical effect. For "used," you hit a fork in the road.

Whether negation requires do-support (in the old terminology) has to do with how "modal" the forms have become, but doesn't have to do with fusion in that sense. The alternation between "have to," "has to" and "had to," on the other hand, does; it constantly encourages speakers to break apart the morphemes. If you think of the "used" of "used to" as fused, "didn't use to" looks typo-ish in the same way "am suppose to" looks typo-ish. Apparently, it's become fused enough for enough people that the OED and usage guides don't want to try to legislate it one way or another. My clunky use of "my brain wants to..." was motivated by my recognition that I'm probably in the fused set, and that the fused set is by no means everyone. For "supposed," I think most people are in the fused set.

Of course, the fact that I can set up a analysis that doesn't tag the -ed, doesn't mean that's what people do, and the relations between "supposed" and "suppose" aren't as opaque as those between, say, "work" and "wrought" (where I'm really confident about saying modern speakers don't normally treat the latter as a participle, at least not before their linguistics courses). I might should oughta check to see if there's any actual evidence from psycholinguistic studies before I make any more sweeping generalizations...

--- Bill Spruiell