ATEG Archives

February 2001

From:
Greta Vollmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 18:04:49 -0800
It seems to me that the problem lies in the semantic entailments of
"grow" not its grammatical properties.  As you note, you can grow
flowers, just as you can grow "a" single plant.  Isn't it rather that
the use of grow in this sense implies an animate object and thus
the use of  it with business strikes us as odd?

Greta Vollmer