ATEG Archives

January 2006

Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:44:28 +0300
The Writery wrote:
> I have been reading this list for years. I now have an issue on which  I
> would appreciate the thoughts of anyone so inclined to comment. Briefly
> stated, I would like to gather some feedback re a recent movement /
> current trend in some school districts: the enrollment of primary and
> elementary education students into foreign language infusion programs. My
> question: Helpful or detrimental to the overall English language
> development, in both receptive and expressive modes, of students this
> young? I have my own thoughts on the matter, which I shall reserve for
> now. but am very interested in reading those of others here. Thanks for
> your insights.
> The Writery

This question came up in Saudi Arabia a couple of years ago in
connection with plans to begin mandatory English language instruction at
grade four, previously they began at grade seven.

I was on an advisory committee assembled by the Ministry of Education to
consider this question. There were quite a few people who were opposed
to this new policy on the basis that it would be "detrimental to Arabic
language development". I did some reading about this then, and while
most of what I found suggested that foreign language instruction
enhanced development of both native language and math skills
development, I believe that most of this came from the foreign language
instruction camp.

When I was in school, in Texas in the 70s, foreign languages were not
offered until 8th grade and it was prohibited to speak any language but
English at school - this was aimed particularly at Spanish speakers.

There has always been a certain degree of paranoia/xenophobia regarding
foreign languages in the United States. The social necessity of
integrating large numbers of immigrants into a host culture, while also
maintaining the cultural dominance of, well, those who dominate, is
another factor.

As in Saudi Arabia, people will attempt to prove contentious or partizan
positions "scientifically", so beware.

Omar