ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
Greta Vollmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:19:47 -0700
The go + fishing construction is a concatenive verb structure.  Some follow
the verb + infinitive pattern (e.g. I hope to see her) and others
follow the verb + gerund pattern (e.g. I appreciate hearing that).
A handful of verbs can take either (I like to eat, I like eating).
Some (these are my favorites) take both but with a subtle
difference in meaning (as in "I remembered to lock the door,"
and "I remembered locking the door.")  These are always
great fun to explain to non-native speakers.

Greta

>This brings up a question we have been pondering = what is the function of
>'fishing' in "I go fishing"? It would seem the preferable solution would be
>"I fish."  Is the structure using 'go' as an apparent 'helping verb'
>idiomatic; somewhat like "I have *got* a cold."? In "I go fishing," can
>'fishing' somehow act like an adverb -- I go {where}; I cannot see it as a
>Direct Object, but maybe my sight is not what it used to be.
>Gordon Carmichael
>Central Texas College and Tarleton State University, Killeen, Texas

Greta Vollmer, Asst. Professor          Sonoma State University
Department of English                   1801 E. Cotati Ave.
(707) 664-2504                          Rohnert Park, CA  94928