ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:44:41 -0600
Craig,

My original post was a response to Jed's question about whether modals
have "inherent tense," or whatever you want to label it, already in
them.  (I am less interested in name for this property.)

I gave a rather mundane example why some people want to make that claim.

1a) *Bob wants to can drink beer.
  b) Bob want to be able to drink beer.

If modals are just like any other verbs that have a bare form, then
explaining 1(a) requires a very special explanation, especially given
the fact that 1(b) is perfectly grammatical.

Of course, we need to have a way of talking about the meanings of
modals.

> Certainly, the more important considerations for a public grammar >
are how the modals add a meaning additional to whatever they
 > may or may not convey
> of tense.

First, Jed's question was NOT about meaning.

Second, my initial interest in grammar comes from ESL, and from that
perspective, I need a way to understand non-standard constructions like
(2) and (3a).

2)  *Bob cans drink beer.

3a)  *Bob does not can drink beer.   But,
 b)  Bob is not able to drink beer.

Examples (2) and (3a) can be accounted for by a representation of the
first verb-expansion rule Martha presented.  This is another reason why
I don't think it is the most insightful to describe modals.

The "most important concern" you identify above is insufficient for
me in trying to understand the non-standard forms in (2) and (3a).

Perhaps, some appeal to the additional meaning modals provide can
explain the facts of 2 and 3, but I don't know what that appeal is.
Perhaps, I am missing something about meaning that can explain the
formal properties of modals.  What am I missing?

Bob Yates
Central Missouri State University