ATEG Archives

April 2011

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:38:39 +0100
A reference back to Geoffrey's quoting of 'the much-derided Strunk' who has
argued, it seems, against a comma AFTER a co-ordinating conjunction followed
by a subordinating one.  (See Geoffrey's original email below).

I feel I must align myself with 'the much-derided Strunk' in this case.  In
the case of a subordinate element (at Christensen's second level -- and, by
the same token, before a third-level element subordinated to a second-level
one), our vocal apparatus produces lower pitch in order to audibly-punctuate
the lower status of the subordinated element.  In the example given this is
certainly the case with regard to 'if we are prepared to act promptly'.
Try it and you will hear (though perhaps this is an Englishman's
differentiating!).  Therefore there should be a comma after 'but' to match
this aural and grammatical level-distinction.  'But' undoubtedly goes with
the second main clause 'there is still one chance of escape' and not with
the conditional clause.

With regard to the comma BEFORE the CO-ORDINATING conjunction, I would tend
to offer the following advice, that, [COMMA!] if the subject in the two main
clauses is the same, with the second subject being a pronoun, I would leave
out the comma, thus:

Jones went in before everyone else but he didn't notice what had happened.

Whereas if the subject is a new one, a comma is required:

Jones went in before everyone else, but Brown, actually the last to go in,
was the one who noticed the change.

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court
Trafalgar Road
Cambridge
CB4 1DU
England

Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/elw33/
Phone [00 44] (0)1223 350256

> And here is the much-derided Mr. Strunk's take on the problem
> (http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk.html):

> The situation is perilous, but if we are prepared to act promptly, there is
still one chance of escape.