ATEG Archives

August 2011

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2011 19:40:54 +0000
Haven't numerals always been graphemes? "Grapheme" doesn't even require that the symbol stand for a speech sound, does it? It just has to be a category such that a given set of marks used in a writing system (graphons) are taken as instantiations of it. A stylized line drawing of an ibex is a grapheme in hieroglyphic Egyptian.

Side note: Ads that people particularly dislike can boost sales -- at some level, the important bit is that you remember the name. The total cultural awkwardness of Mentos ads in the early 90s probably drove most of their sales.

--- Bill Spruiell