ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:32:26 -0800
There's good evidence that they're still adjectives.

Notice that "best" still is modified by adverbs, e.g., "The very best."

If "best" were a deadjectival noun, we would expect adjective
modification and the ability to make it plural. A whole class of
adjectives fall into this construction, and when they do, they often
permit comparative and superlative constructions (e.g., "The poor", "the
poorest," etc.). "Best," of course, is part of an irregular gradation,
but the same basic tendency applies (e.g., "the good die young"), and
that's yet more reason to think they maintain their adjectival status.

So I vote for an adjective analysis.