ATEG Archives

February 2008

Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:18:09 -0500
I have always taught using traditional diagramming as my toll for getting
the students to understand what the sentences are actually saying.  Many
students complained that their previous books had diagramming but their
teachers had invariably skipped the diagraming lessons, explaining that
the diagrams were not helpful in learning English.  One twelfth-grader
in a college prep academy stated, "You have made all my English teachers
grades 7-11 out to be liars because diagramming has certainly helped me
and the whole class, I imagine."   I defended my predecessors by pointing
out that their professors and teachers had probably told them so because
they had never had a teacher or professor who knew diagramming.  I
reiterated that all English teachers at our prep academy knew diagramming
and taught it as a valuable tool.  I also used diagramming in teaching
Koine Greek and Latin.  In French and Spanish, on the other hand, I used
diagramming only in advanced courses dealing with morphosyntaxis because
I used an oral cognitive code approach. It works! How many teachers can
say that they never had a student say "moan-sewer" in the approach that
they are using.  Native speakers of Spanish are normally astonished to
learn that "Ojala que dios nos ayuda." is diagramed as "May Allah grant
that God help us."

One of my seventh-graders, in hope of extra credit, diagramed the last
sentence of the poem about Jack, beginning "This is the cock that crowed
in the morn...."  this chef d'oeuvre was excelled on by a student who
diagramed the famous sentence in Les Miserables, by Hugo, that ran for
pages.

In short, I find traditional diagramming more useful to the students
than I.C. or any other new-fangled approach.  I am amused that certain
fundamentalist academies are using readers and texts from our colonial
period.  What is even more amusing is that one-room school houses with
economically deprived students and teachers with only a high school
education scored higher in English, in my sample, than gifted students
of much higher socioeconomic status being taught by teachers having
advanced degrees in English (English literature, admittedly).

Let the flames begin.
Scott Catledge

Date:    Wed, 27 Feb 2008 03:08:57 -0500
From:    Kevin Dwyer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: graphic display of text syntax for comprehensibility

Scott,

For almost 20 years, Carl Bosma at Calvin Theological Seminary in
Grand Rapids, MI has used system similar to this to interpret
classical Hebrew texts; he learned the process in The Netherlands.
"Clausal delimitation" is the backbone of the approach. In Hebrew,
every word string containing a verbal of any sort (e.g., an
infinitive) is considered a clause. Rules govern how far a Hebrew
clause is to be indented. Of course, in Hebrew that means selecting
"flush right" in your word processor. However, I've used the same
method with a "literal" English Bible translation (the American
Standard Version works best) as a quick and dirty, yet useful, means
to the same end. The resulting "shape of the text," especially in
narratives, will invariably point to the central point of the textual
unit.

Kevin Dwyer

http://www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/languages/classical/latin/tchmat/accrdrs.html

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:16:58 +0000
From:    Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Right- and left-branching sentences

I invented an example that readily demonstrates the difference between
right- and left-branching as regards the relative demands they place on the
short-term memory.

Take the nursery rhyme 'This is the house that Jack built'.  The first few
lines run thus:

     This is the house that Jack built.

     This is the malt that lay in the house that Jack built.

     This is the rat that ate the malt that lay in the house that Jack
built.

     This is the cat that ate the rat that ate the malt that lay in the
house that Jack built.

     This is the dog that worried the cat that ate the rat that ate the malt
that lay in the house that Jack built . . .[etc.]

It is plain that, from the second sentence onwards, the sentences are all
right-branching and cause no trouble in understanding, even for the little
children the nursery rhyme is for.  However, as in Herb's example, to
left-branch causes a real problem, thus:

         The malt the rat ate lay in the house that Jack built.

No problem so far -- we can make sense of that. Next:

       The malt the rat the cat ate ate lay in the house that Jack built.

If you lower the pitch for each adjective clause as it comes along, and then
raise it again (matching pitch for the appropriate subject and verb), one
can still say this and make sense of it.  Now try this:

     The malt the rat the cat the dog worried ate ate lay in the house that
Jack built.

I have found that, if again you do the step-lowering and step-lifting of
pitch and in addition say 'the cat the dog worried' very fast all in one
breath, and pause after the last 'ate', you can just about hold on to the
meaning.

The next stage I find utterly impossible to understand:

     The malt the rat the cat the dog the cow tossed worried ate ate lay in
the house that Jack built.

So there is a memory limit here because there are now too many for the brain
to match the subject and objects in the down-up order demanded.  You can
stand back from the sentence easily enough and see which goes with which,
but one can't say the sentence through and know what it means!

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court
Trafalgar Road
Cambridge
CB4 1DU
England

Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/elw33/
Phone [00 44] (0)1223 350256

Date:    Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:04:57 -0500
From:    Linda Di Desidero <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Form and function (philosophy of language)

------_=_NextPart_001_01C87941.F50B59B8

And from Vygotsky's Thought and Language:
=20
"The connection between thought and word...emerges in the course of =
development and itself evolves. To the biblical "In the beginning was =
the Word," Goethe makes Faust reply, "In the beginning was the deed." =
The intent here was to detract from the value of the word, but we can =
accept this version if we emphasize it differently: In the beginning was =
the deed. The word was not the beginning--action was there first; it =
<the word> is the end of development, crowning the deed"  (p 255 in the =
1986 printing)
=20
=20
Linda Di Desidero, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Assistant Academic Director of Writing
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Boulevard, East
Adelphi, MD 20783

________________________________

Date:    Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:18:33 -0500
From:    Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Right- and left-branching sentences

Edmond,
   For Christensen, restrictive and non-restrictive is a core variable.
To be a "free modifier", the word group (here relative clause) needs to
be non-restrictive. This gives even more ease to memory.
   The house, which jack built from extra lumber, contained malt, a
favorite food for rats.
   This would be a truer "cumulative sentence" in the Christensen
tradition.
   I'm off to a writing class where we'll be playing with these
structures. They do seem to invite a kind of playfulness.

Craig

Date:    Wed, 27 Feb 2008 07:42:08 -0700
From:    Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>

--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____
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Date:    Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:28:34 -0500
From:    "STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>

I wish I were still teaching so I could use that one.  My favorite had
been "The policeman the boy the dog bit called came," but Jack's
left-branching house beats that one hands down.

Herb

Date:    Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:38:53 -0500
From:    "STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C87956.E46C5E2C
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[...]
ZWIgc2l0ZSBhdCBodHRwOi8vYXRlZy5vcmcvDQoNCl9fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19f
X19fX19fDQoNCk5PVElDRTogVGhpcyBlbWFpbCBtZXNzYWdlIGlzIGZvciB0aGUgc29sZSB1c2Ug
b2YgdGhlIGludGVuZGVkIHJlY2lwaWVudChzKSBhbmQgbWF5IGNvbnRhaW4gY29uZmlkZW50aWFs
IGFuZCBwcml2aWxlZ2VkIGluZm9ybWF0aW9uLiBBbnkgdW5hdXRob3JpemVkIHJldmlldywgdXNl
LCBkaXNjbG9zdXJlIG9yIGRpc3RyaWJ1dGlvbiBpcyBwcm9oaWJpdGVkLiBJZiB5b3UgYXJlIG5v
dCB0aGUgaW50ZW5kZWQgcmVjaXBpZW50LCBwbGVhc2UgY29udGFjdCB0aGUgc2VuZGVyIGJ5IHJl
cGx5IGVtYWlsIGFuZCBkZXN0cm95IGFsbCBjb3BpZXMgb2YgdGhlIG9yaWdpbmFsIG1lc3NhZ2Uu
DQoNCg==

------_=_NextPart_001_01C87956.E46C5E2C
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Date:    Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:41:36 +0000
From:    Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Right- and left-branching sentences and intonation

> Herb,

The Policeman sentence is an excellent example -- one that you can still
just say with understanding.  Again one has to gabble 'the dog bit' at a
very low level of pitch, and pause momentarily after 'called'.  The 'House
that Jack built' example is made more difficult at every level when the
repetition of 'ate' kicks in.

Bruce is clearly right over the part played by intonation here.  I don't
know of any studies -- they are obviously called for.  Whether intonation
can be neatly quantified is another matter -- for one thing, consider how to
invest what you are saying with an ironic tone, or one of disbelief, or of
boredom, etc. -- or perhaps you have to leave moods on one side and stick
with grammatical effects.

Date:    Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:32:22 -0700
From:    "Bruce D. Despain" <[log in to unmask]>

The site looks great, I'll look into it.
I think there are a number of issues we don't spend much time on in grammar
that have to do with intonation.  This does not seem to relate to the
sentence, as much as to the utterance.  Consider such words usually classed
as exclamatives or interjections, that are sometimes not even covered by
phonology.  There are usage problems: mispelling "O" as "Oh" and the British

are forever spelling "uh" as "er"  Tsk, tsk! and oh uh! about that.  There
is no syntax here to speak of, just prosody.  I suppose punctuation should
be mentioned as well.

> The Policeman sentence is an excellent example -- one that you can still
> just say with understanding.  Again one has to gabble 'the dog bit' at a
> very low level of pitch, and pause momentarily after 'called'.  The 'House
> that Jack built' example is made more difficult at every level when the
> repetition of 'ate' kicks in.
>
> Bruce is clearly right over the part played by intonation here.  I don't
> know of any studies -- they are obviously called for.  Whether intonation
> can be neatly quantified is another matter -- for one thing, consider how
> invest what you are saying with an ironic tone, or one of disbelief, or of
> boredom, etc. -- or perhaps you have to leave moods on one side and stick
> with grammatical effects.
>
> Edmond
>

> Dr. Edmond Wright
> 3 Boathouse Court
> Trafalgar Road
> Cambridge
> CB4 1DU
> England
>
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> Website: http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/elw33/
> Phone [00 44] (0)1223 350256
>

> I wish I were still teaching so I could use that one.  My favorite had
>> been "The policeman the boy the dog bit called came," but Jack's
>> left-branching house beats that one hands down.
>>
>> Herb

> at:
> and select "Join or leave the list"

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

End of ATEG Digest - 26 Feb 2008 to 27 Feb 2008 (#2008-51)