ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 23:41:53 -0500
Bill, Bruce, Bob, Jim, and Craig,

This set of threads has taken a positive turn in tone as well as in content.  The two posts below are excellent examples of this shift.

As Bob is aware from earlier discussions, I take a somewhat different position from him on matters like innateness, Universal Grammar, and competence and performance.  In particular, I find the last to be at best a very useful metaphor for dealing with the ability of speakers of a language to distinguish well-formed from ill-formed utterances in their language.  There are, of course, disagreements among native speakers on some of these judgments.  I find the sentence "There's the guy met me at the airport" well-formed and Craig does not.  Some of accept extraposition from "it" in direct object position and others do not, so I have no problem with a sentence like "I appreciated it that all the rooms were cleaned after the party" but I know plenty of English speakers who reject sentences like that.  So competence is not something that is well-defined across speakers of a language, even speakers with very similar backgrounds.  I'm not sure how generative linguists have dealt with such inconsistencies.  As a metaphor, competence can be used productively in the classroom to talk about what we know about our native language, however we might disagree on what competence means and where it might come from.

I maintain the fond hope that we can draw on different, even conflicting theoretical positions to develop effective pedagogy.  Surely discussing social context as an explanation of register choices can be very productive without going on to insist that our knowledge of language grows entirely out of social contexts in which we use it.  Our common goal is sound pedagogy that will make the concepts of grammar available to developing writers as tools for constructing and editing more effective writing, and I think we can draw on our diverse backgrounds and theoretical stances to develop such pedagogy.  In fact, I suspect that our doing so would provide the best argument against those who reject contributions from linguists because "linguists can't agree on anything."  In our own classrooms we can explain as we wish, but a common pedagogy needn't entail our theoretical biases.

I distrust arguments from analogy and usually regret it when I offer one anyway, but I think our situation is analogous to that found in abortion debates.  We can argue the morality (theoretical foundations) of it endlessly and get no where, or we can agree that all sides want to reduce the need for and number of abortions and work together on ways to do so.  That's worked.  We can do the same thing with grammar pedagogy, drawing on the strengths of our various positions but not insisting that they become a part of everyone's pedagogy.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University