ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:09:21 -0400
Michael,
   I agree very much, and I'm happy you spoke up because I hadn't intended
to recommend moving away from terms and distinctions. You and I, I
suspect, probably see this in similar ways.
   Your "however" sentence is what I would call a functional choice; in
other words, with just commas, we don't know the constituency of
"however" because we aren't sure which clause it goes with, and a
semicolon helps make that clear. To the extent that our rules are like
that (better cook the meat to at least X degrees or risk illness), then
the process is very smooth. I was objecting more to the notion that
"for' is thought of as a coordinating conjunction, but "because" is
subordinate, which has more to do with conventional practices than with
the work of writing. "For he's a jolly good fellow" is an OK sentence,
but "because he's a jolly good fellow" is a fragment. I would point
that out when I'm teaching, giving the status quo while I critique it.
For some reason, students seem to like being told that some rules are
not so good as others.
   Punctuation I think of as the most functional part of traditional
school grammar, by far.
   Conjunctive adverb may be an OK category for the punctuation decisions
we make, but it may not help us understand the differing functions of
the kinds of terms that show up in that slot. I think it helps to point
out that some words and phrases help a reader understand how the writer
intends a statement. It helps if our discussion of cohesion brings in
other features of text, like given/new, keeping the same subject in
focus for longer stretches, or lexical repetition, which are more
central to the process. "Marked theme" seems to me a colossally useful
term. Putting semi-colons before conjunctive adverbs doesn't go very
deep or very far. We need to teach more attention to language (not
less) to accomplish our larger goals.
   I just looked back at Herb's presentation to the 4C's conference in
2004 (which later became his fine Syntax in the Schools article on
tense and aspect.) Here's his opening, which I think is germane. (Hope
you don't mind, Herb):
    "Two guiding principles of the New Public Grammar are that grammatical
awareness enhances a writer's choices and that grammatical information
combines in important ways with rhetorical principles to enable
targeted, grammatically rich presentation of options that writers can
develop. Awareness of grammatical and lexical options promotes more
conscious and careful choices in an area like the framing of
information in discourse. My purpose today is to describe one specific
grammatical issue, tense, that is handled poorly in traditional school
grammar. I will show how contemporary scholarship addresses tense, and
I will suggest ways that tense, as point of grammar, can be used to
shape and interpret discourse."
   I know that tense, not conjunctive adverbs is at issue in Herb's talk,
but the model works I think for other areas of traditional school
grammar as well. It's not that we're saying someone would be better off
with no attention to grammar. Perhaps traditional approaches are fine
for avoiding errors like subject/verb agreement and so on; that, in
fact, is what they tend to think of as important. But when we want to
use the grammar to do much more (as we have to if we want to save it
from the stigma of triviality), when we want to help fine-tune our
nuances of meaning, perhaps present time assessment of past events, we
begin to see how error focused attention falls short. And we need to
amend it accordingly. I'm saying that Herb's approach to tense and
aspect will also allow us to deal with the usual dialect interference
errors that come into play within the verb system. It aims at much
more, not less.
   But I am clumsy in my arguments, I'm sure.
   We have such an expectation that error is all that matters and anything
else will just confuse people, but I teach students who have been
through that approach and couldn't possibly be more confused if you
tried. Confusion doesn't increase the more they know; it diminishes.
   If we teach a functional approach to grammar (making of meaning, making
of human contact), then correctness falls into place. If we just aim at
correctness, we won't even get that. And people will continue to
disdain it as not on the level with reading and writing; they will
continue to say there is no room for it in the busy curriculum.

Craig

 Craig and Herb,