ATEG Archives

December 1998

From:
Robert Einarsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:24:48 MST
Bob Yates offers us these very creative ways to keep
*underlying principles* in a *contemporary classroom*:

>On the other hand, if these kids listen to rap or other
>popular songs or if these kids have elaborate chants
>when jumping rope, then they know something about
>language form.

>My guess is that they know they talk to a teacher
>differently than they talk to each other at  lunch.  This
>means they have some knowledge about language
>variation.

What a great combination of the contemporary and the fundamental!

P.S.  The following three texts are now available on my web page:

Adam Smith, "Considerations Concerning the First Formation of
Languages."

Hugh Blair, on sentence strength, from Lectures on Rhetoric and
Belles Lettres.

"Of Universal Grammar."  Article from 1771 edition of the
Encyclopaedia Britannica.

www.artsci.gmcc.ab.ca/people/einarssonb