ATEG Archives

March 2005

From:
Gregg Heacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 06:58:22 -0800
Martha and Marie-Pierre,
    It seems to me that the command form is really a truncated version of "I want
you to" as in "I want you to be quiet."  While the subject-direct object
relationship is one of respectful equality, the other has the force of God giving
commandments (as parents and teachers often do).  Those of us who have ceased to
be gods to those we would command fortunately can relying on the inherent power
of the subject-direct object relationship to get our point across.
    That's how it seems to me.
        Gregg Heacock