ATEG Archives

March 1997

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 19:19:53 +0000
Bill McCleary, Carolyn Kirkpatrick, and others have been debating about the
meaning (or use) of the term, 'mechanics', and I thought I'd like to add my
two cents.  There is a common vocabulary at work, here.  For example, the
LITTLE BROWN HANDBOOK defines mechanics as, "The use of capital letters,
underlining (italics), abbreviations, numbers, and divided words" (5th
edition 779).  This is the exact meaning I have always given it when
speaking to my students about their writing - a separate issue from grammar,
spelling, and punctuation (although related to these issues).  I was rather
surprised at the difference of opinions about it!

What d'ya think?

Paul E. Doniger - Univ. of Bridgeport; ELI