ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:20:32 -0700
My point of view, colored admittedly by fluency in German, is that this sentence involves a compound noun.  The question about what a word is comes up, because we naturally write the expression as a set of separate strings divided by spaces.  They don't do that in German.  Such German monstrosities often become laughingstock for non-Germanicists that would encounter them.

"Houston Symphony Partners'" is a possessive noun phrase denoting sponsorship with the possessive clitic merging with the plural morpheme "-s".  This noun is compounded out of "Houston Symphony" and "partners."  "Houston Symphony" is in turn compounded out of the two words that denote the city and the music making organization associated with it. This possessive is a proper noun that is then used as part of the determiner to modify the main noun of the noun phrase.

The main noun is a compound noun comprised of multiple stages of morphological derivation, which may be reversed by segmenting it as a left-branching structure.  Some of the elements are also left-branching.  "Sale" becomes "Clearance Sale" which then combines with a left-branching compound "Spring Cleaning" to become "Spring Cleaning Clearance Sale."  Presumably the l.-b. compound "Symphony Surplus" denotes items that are no longer needed by the Huston Symphony.  There is apparently the idea that these items may be salvaged by selling them.  Thus we have the l.-b. compound "Symphony Surplus Salvage" combining next on the left.  "Mad-as-a-March-hare" seems to be an adjective phrase formed into an attributive compound adjective possibly meant to describe the kind of bartering that will go on at the sale, which has been described and restricted in the rest of the noun so far compounded.  Attributives normally follow the article in a noun phrase.  However, this point is not very important, since it seems that in this case the non-restrictive adjective has been attached as a part of the name of this particular Symphony Surplus Salvage Spring Cleaning Clearance Sale.  The whole compound noun is then a proper noun used to refer to a rather unique event.  Because of this I think that who the sponsor is becomes secondary and non-restrictive in the whole phrase.

"The Mad as a March Hare Symphony Surplus Salvage Spring Cleaning Clearance Sale" is actually a proper noun, not a noun phrase at all (some are tempted to remove the definite article from the noun).  It's syntax is in the morphology of English.  The rules in this component can still be stated in the same form as the phrase structure rules of the syntax of English, but I think it should be pointed out that they are usually kept separate as part of Lexical Structure rather than of the Phrase Structure.