ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:42:29 -0400
Herb,
   I think this is a wonderful place to start. A number of people have
suggested the four "open classes", and so maybe we can start with that
as a consensus position. (These also carry over from traditional
grammar.) Notional criteria seem the current way of going about it for
early grades, so I wonder if people think morphology and syntax are a
more mature perspective. I notice even with the NATE glossary (I don't
have it with me) they tend to oversimplify in the early grades. They
define "subject", for example, as "what carries out the action," which
seems a terrible mistake to me.
   It's hard to imagine getting far without prepositions and conjunctions.
For auxiliaries, you need to determine whether "have", "do", and "be"
verbs are verbs used as auxiliaries, which would mean it's a function
label and not just a category label (as it would be for the modals, I
presume.) What are the arguments for numeral as its own catgory and not
just noun or adjective?
   I know we have talked a number of times on list about the category
"adverb" being too large. Do we want to add "qualifier"? It shows up
very early, I think, with "so" and "very". Unlike other "adverbs", they
can't head a phrase.     >
   I like the idea of "typical" or "prototypical", especially for notional
definitions. Even in early stages, I would opt for presenting language
as very flexible.
   These categories would have sub-categories, I assume. At what age would
we assume that a typical child is ready for a full description?

Craig
In a previous posting, I mentioned Greenbaum's treatment of word classes