ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:16:09 -0400
Christine.

I suspect the "a couple people" expression arose in speech through the loss of schwa after the syllabic /l/ of "couple".  The schwa resulted from the reduction of  "of", a very common phenomenon.  "Couple of", as a partitive is plural, just as "a pair of" is, but "couple", like "pair", behaves also as a singular noun.

I don't have a problem with "went missing".  I think it's on the model of "went flat", "went sour", etc., just using the present participle as an adjective.  There are, however, other patterns of verb plus present participle, like "needs fixing".  There's a paper in the latest Lund University Working Papers in Linguistics, by Junichi Toyota, that deals with the latter variety and touches briefly on other such constructions.  You can find it at http://www.englund.lu.se/images/stories/pdf-files/workingspapers/vol06/Toyota_06.pdf

Herb