ATEG Archives

December 2011

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 21:19:44 -0800
John,

I would call the error in the Earhart sentence a dangling modifier despite the fact that the modifier itself isn't underlined. (We could argue over whether this is dangling or misplaced, but that's not really relevant.)  I'm not sure if Warriner uses that terminology--my copy is packed in a box right now.

The modifier doesn't need to be underlined because the problem with a dangling modifier isn't inherent in the modifier itself but in its relationship to the subject of its clause. It follows that you can fix a dangling or misplaced modifier by rewriting the clause it modifies just as easily as by rewriting or moving the modifier. (Also note that the directions for sentence-revision questions are different from the ones I quoted before.)

I'm not sure I follow your logic on the "protested over" example. When we say that the error is confined to the underlined portion, that doesn't imply that everything that is underlined must be changed. The fix is indeed confined to the underlined portion. As for the question type, I wouldn't call it wordiness. This question is one of usage--to be precise, the selection of an idiomatically appropriate complement (direct object vs. prepositional phrase). If you want to argue that usage isn't grammar, I'll concede that I phrased things loosely in my previous email. Normally I distinguish grammar from usage. Let's say that it's a clearly defined and recurrent category of error. It's also true that this category of question is difficult to prepare students for, other than showing them that it exists and giving them varied examples, as usage principles are specific to individual lexical items. There isn't a single rule to be taught here, the way we can for subject-verb agreement.

Now it is true that I have seen error-identification questions that target a sub-species of wordiness, but these are confined to tautological expressions rather than simply saying something with more words than necessary. For example, there have been questions on sentences like the following (I'm making up the sentences, but the tautologies are one's I've observed on test questions):

- Although Payton's arguments are debatable, but I give him credit for reframing the debate in a productive manner.
- The company's annual charitable contributions exceeded one hundred thousand dollars a year.

In my experience (and I've studied the SAT closely for many years), the test doesn't just throw out any old random question on topics culled from usage books. Real questions are written following strict test specifications and harp on a relatively small number of points.

BTW, I did not mean to disrespect your students by calling their understanding simplistic. I have often seen teachers' attempts to give students the easy answer (which as you so rightly point out they want) backfire when students try to apply that reductive explanation to difficult (and sometimes even not-so-difficult) cases. The search for the easy answer is certainly tempting, but after many years in the classroom, I've come to a few conclusions:

First, the way traditional grammar is taught, when it is taught at all, results in predictable misunderstandings. For example, there's often a tendency to look at grammar as a property inherent to isolated words (which is what appeared to me to be a problem with your students).

Second, most high school students can handle some complexity if we show them why it matters. That doesn't mean giving them a graduate course in syntax, but it does mean showing them, for example, why the definition of a noun as a "person, place, thing, or idea" is hopeless. Or to take another example, I've taught high school students that English has a two-tense verb system for a long time. I've often had them tell me I was blowing their minds, because I was contradicting what all their previous teachers have told them, but I've never had them forget it.

Finally, it's worth it for teachers to meditate carefully on the terminology they use and how they explain things even when they don't give students the full story, because precision under the surface can quietly guide students away from potential misunderstandings. For example, some years ago, I abandoned the terms "independent clause" and "dependent clause" and substituted "main clause" and subordinate clause" because I found the other terms led to too much confusion.

Karl