ATEG Archives

January 2001

From:
"Haussamen, Brock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 12:21:36 -0500
I teach an introduction to linguistics course here at the community college.
I organize it into four units:
1. Talking (possible origins of speech, how we form the sounds (very basic
phonetics), the nature of conversation)
2.Writing (history of the alphabet, how we read, impact of printing and
literacy, history of standardized grammar)
 3.Englishes (history of English, nature of dialects, Black English
vernacular, language change)
 4.Semantics and Syntax (how words mean, how sentences are structured, tree
diagrams)

Although much of this content may not be relevant, I find the four part
progression works very well for students.  They all are interested in
talking, conversations, and how language might have begun, then the
discussion of writing serves to highlight the distinctiveness of literacy,
then the section on Englishes takes them into standard vs. other forms of
English, and the more difficult theory comes last.

Brock Haussamen