ATEG Archives

June 2008

Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:39:25 -0400
I think that requiring an English education class to subscribe to ATEG
is an excellent idea.  While I am an old mossback who appreciates the
contributions of Chomsky to grammar as much as his contributions to
political thought, I think that prospective English teachers must know
that no one has a lock on the truth--no matter what the textbook might
say.  I swear by Pence and Emory; others swear at them or try to dismiss
R-K diagramming as outdated.  Others feel the same way about IC.  Some
Chomskyites know exactly what to believe, at least until the next book
comes out.
As opinionated as I am, it's important for English teachers both to know
that grammar is not a monolith and to gain the skills of discrimination
in order to make their own informed decisions.  I'm not enough of a
dinosaur to work for the WE SAY SO corporation.

The teacher applicants would do well to get a copy of the grammar book,
if any, that is used in the school district and familiarize themselves
with the text before the interview.  I did not do that one time and
was asked what I though about Robert's.  I responded that the approach
had merit; however, it was very poorly executed and developed ideas far
too slowly.  I was still offered the position, but I declined.
As for appearance, the weirdo "stylish" haircuts for men and the highly
styled uncombed look for women may be your personal preference; however,
elementary and secondary school teaching is probably the most conservative
of professions.  Conform, at least until you have tenure.  Teaching has
the highest drop-out rate of any profession in the first three years.
If you loving teaching, stick with the program until the dust has settled.

The ATEG conference is 7 1/2 to 14 hours one-way flight time at a cost of
$885.50.  I'll wait until the conference is a wee bit closer, particularly
because I am already committed to presenting papers in Toronto and London
this summer.
Scott Catledge