ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:24:45 -0500
I don't think this use of "aware" is grammatically wrong, and whether it's stylistically optimal depends on audience and purpose. Example #3, for example, sounds slightly New Age to me, and if one were addressing a New Age audience in its own lingo, this wouldn't seem out of place to me. On the other hand, I suspect that the same example might be out of place in an address to a conservative and highly technical musicology or neurobiology conference, where "the aware mind" might just be unacceptably vague.

Brian