ATEG Archives

January 2001

From:
David D Mulroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:54:42 -0600
Ed Schuster says that virtually all schools teach grammar, starting in the
first grade.  Perhaps I should rephrase my question. I know that most
teachers talk about parts of speech.  I guess what I am looking for are
schools in which children do a lot of sentence diagramming and get into
grammar in some depth.  I always remember visiting a fifth grade class at
the Brookfield Academy outside of Milwaukee.  Children play a game in
which they realize abstract diagrams with "gross sentences."  As a test I
asked for an example of a gross linking sentence whose subject was a
gerund with a direct object.  Virtually every hand in the class shot
up.  The first example:  "Spewing chunks is unpleasant."  What I am
looking for is schools that attack grammar in that way.  Are Brookfield
fifth-graders are really typical of students nationwide?