ATEG Archives

August 2000

From:
Jenny Cockrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 12:12:43 -0400
Hi all!
I went to the reference library at the University of Georgia and found this in
the OED on-line:

as it were: as if it were so, if one might so put it, in some sort: a
parenthetic phrase used to indicate that a word or statement is perhaps not
formally exact though practically right.

      C. 1386 Chaucer Nonne Pr. T. 26 She was as it were a maner deye.

      1399 Langl. P. Pl. C. ix. 22 Ich wolde a-saye som tyme for solas, as hit
were.

      1531 Elyot Gov. (1834) 211 It draweth a man as it were by violence.

      1579 E. K. in Spenser's Sheph. Cal. Mar. 11 Gloss., The messenger, and as
it were, the     forerunner of springe.

      1692 E. Walker Epictetus' Mor. (1737) xxii, You're as it were the Actor of
a Play.

      1711 Steele Spect. No. 32 1 She has thought fit, as it were, to mock
herself.

      1881 Buchanan God & Man I. 124 She took him at once, as it were, into her
confidence.

I guess that means Chaucer wins the prize.  Thanks for the help!
--Jenny Cockrill