ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 13:55:18 -0700
Unless someone has antedated the word recently, the earliest citation
for 'fanboy' as a word is 1919, so its use as an acronym is almost
certainly 20th century. The first grammatical citation that shows up in
Google Books is dated as 1951 _Learning to Write_, by Reed Smith et
alia, p. 398: "the chief co-ordinating conjunctions are sometimes called
the fanboy words" ("so" apparently has not been admitted to the club.)

There are earlier editions of the same work going back to at least 1937,
so it's conceivable the acronym could go back to the late 1930s,
assuming this bit wasn't added in a later edition, but I doubt it goes
back much before that.