ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2010 16:47:34 -0400
Martha,
    I used to have my own version of the absolute (PP are either
adjectival or adverbial) until you offered me the below example--I
think at one of our fine ATEG conferences. Now I hear them all the
time. "Out of bounds" is highly relevant on a golf course. Once I
heard "Where is the out of bounds?" Here's one I heard just yesterday:
"They kept me up until after midnight," where "after midnight seems to
be object of "until."
   Of course, the language is under no obligation to behave according to
our expectations. The longer I study it, the more I enjoy finding out I
was wrong.

Craig>

 Here's my favorite: