ATEG Archives

November 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 1997 08:24:14 -0500
GOOD MORNING, ATEG! (think of Robin Williams's tone from _Good Morning,
Vietnam_ and you'll know the tone I'm trying to convey),

I am writing to address the recent bombardment of our list with fax-related
messages and other assorted junk mail.  Somehow an individual or group has
found a way to use our list (and thus Miami University's computer system)
to generate and send faxes over the internet.  I don't know how they do it,
and as far as I know, there is no way to stop them.

I have sent a message to the university's computer manager, but I also know
that he gets all of these spam anyway.  In the past, when we've gotten
spam, his advice is to use the delete key.

If using the delete key is too much trouble, and your dissatisfaction with
the list is so great that you wish to unsubscribe, here is the simple way
to do it.  Two steps; no hassle.

Send a message to:  [log in to unmask]
In the body type:  UNSUB ATEG

That's about it.  Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but I've been ill.
Opening my mail today was a surprise and a disappointment.  I don't like
these intrusions any more than you.

Best wishes,

Jim Dubinsky                      l Miami University, Hamilton
[log in to unmask]          l Hamilton, OH 45011
http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~jdubinsky
"It's a long way from sparks to fire."