ATEG Archives

September 2001

From:
Mikel Garant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:31:56 +0300
Hi all!
I think it is bad that they have attacked and kiled Muslims in the US.  I'm
sure quite a few Muslims died in the WTC.
The Americanization of German communities cannot be blamed on the histeria in
1917.  Why don't Polish-Americans whose great-grandparents immigrated in 1900
all speak Polish?  It is because they assimilated.  Not because they were
forced.  It was their dream - to become AMERICAN.  Maybe that sounds like flag
waving but it was true.  Usually, immigrants and 1st generation kids try to be
as American as possible because they don't want to stand out.  You can see this
in movies like the Godfather, Avalon or other films.  Oscar Handlin's work on
immigration describes this.  3rd and 4th generation (the grandkids or great-
grandkids) may often get interested in their ethnic identity and go to night
school to learn Polish, Finnish, German, Serbo-Croation etc.
I knew an old lady in Milwaukee who said her German-American barber flew a Nazi
flag in his shop before December 7, 1941.  He had to know what was going on in
the Reich at the time in terms of oppresion.
I feel bad about the Japanese camps in the US in WWII but the goal of the
Japanese education system from late Meiji (around 1890) until the end on WWII
was to brainwash everyone to serve the Emperor.  Revisionist leave out the
numbers of Japanese who returned home to use their English to serve the Emperor
and work for 'Naimusho', the Japanese KGB from that period.  I lived in Japan
for 3.5 years and discussed this with my friends and co-workers.  It isn't that
simple.
Big questions need detailed study.
Just my 2 cents, Mike