ATEG Archives

November 2005

From:
Larry Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:06:54 -0600
Tim,
I would be glad to assist.  I have particular interests in (1) how people react to error, both inside and outside the school context, (2) spelling, and (3) helping future teachers understand both grammar and the approaches to teaching grammar.

Again, let me know if I can of any help, and thanks for asking us to help out!

Larry

____________________________
Larry Beason, Associate Professor
Director of Composition
University of South Alabama
Mobile, AL 36688-0002
251-460-7861
>>> [log in to unmask] 11/14/05 7:35 PM >>>
ATEG colleagues,

I would like to issue a call for volunteers to serve on an "editorial board" that would serve ATEG Journal as article referees. We are getting a good number of article submissions, and rather than me just choose individuals at random to referee certain articles, I would prefer to be able to select referees from a list of those who have indicated an interest in such service and a willingness to be involved.

Here is how I envision this "editorial board" working: Service would extend for one calendar year. Participants could, of course, resign at any time if they needed to. If we have enough participants, you would not be called upon too often.

The referee process itself is fairly simple: I send you an article, without any name or other identifying information. You read it and make brief notes about it, indicating your opinion about whether it is ready for publication (I will provide a rubric for you to follow in making your recommendation). In most cases, each manuscript will be read by 2-3 people.

The only issue for most people will be the time factor. In most cases, I will need you to read the article and return your comments to me within a 2-to-3-week time frame. If you agree to take the assignment, you will have to also agree to meet the deadline.

There are a number of good reasons to consider getting involved in this kind of work. Younger scholars and faculty who are moving toward tenure and promotion might note that this is the type of service that looks especially good on one's vita. All scholars who are considering publishing their own work can get valuable insights from reading the work of others. There may even be some budding journal editors out there who would like to know more about how the review process works. And, finally, some of you may just want to be of service to our journal.

If you are interested in volunteering to referee articles for our journal, please email me at [log in to unmask] as soon as possible. Provide me with your primary email address and with any particular academic specialty(ies) or interest(s), so I can direct specific manuscripts to the right people whenever possible. This first group will become the 2006 ATEG Journal editorial board.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Hadley
Research Assistant, The Graduate School
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University
Editor, ATEG Journal