ATEG Archives

February 2006

From:
"Hadley, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:10:31 -0600
Thanks, Craig. This is my sense, too, of what is happening. (BTW, I did not mean to disparage Shaughnessy. I, too, approve of her work and greatly admire what she did. I think some of her writings have been inappropriately used by anti-grammarites.)

Williams covers himself by saying that grammar should be studied, but for other reasons, such as being able to discuss language. He also insists that students from minority backgrounds who speak non-standard dialects must learn Standard English because there is a stigma attached to nonstandard speaking and writing. So he ends up pretty much at the same place--but he goes through great contortions in the earlier stages to explain away grammar instruction in the writing classroom.

Thanks for your thorough and very helpful comments.

Tim

Tim Hadley
Research Assistant, The Graduate School
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University
Editor, ATEG Journal