ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2009 21:31:55 -0500
> Bob,

    I would recommend the first section of Langacker's "Cognitive
Grammar" (2008, pp.3-26) for a good overview of how his approach differs
from the generative. I think Adele Goldberg handles it well in the opening
chapter of "Constructions at Work". Again, I think it would be silly to
pretend you and I are resolving this when so much work is being done by
other people. In many ways, this is a return to a more traditional view of
language.
   I think Langacker does a wonderful job handling count and non-count
(mass nouns) as cognitive categories. There are some very interesting
ways in which nouns shift from one category to another. "Yellow", for
example, is not normally a count noun, but we can say "I like the
yellow" or "I tried several yellows." "I don't like many wines."  "He
had too many beers." "I love diamond." (non-count). "She wore several
diamonds." (count.)  I suspect that these are learned as we pick up
vocabulary. There's no reason to believe the count/non-count
distinction is a purely formal system, separate from our interaction
with the world and our ways of talking about it and conceptualizing it.
Is "wood" count or mass?  "They broke through the plaster to wood." "He
tried several woods before he found one that looked right." The
question came up in my class just the other day about "trouble."  "He
got into trouble." "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen." These are
fairly dynamic categories.
   There can be a number of different reasons why certain structures may
strike us as "not possible" in the language. "Bob likes ice cream
and..." may very well come up in the right kind of context. "I like ice
cream and fudge. Sally likes ice cream and nuts. Bob likes ice cream
and...?" With the right inflection, it would be treated like a sensible
question. An utterance needs motivation, and new utterances need to pay
off before they will be accepted.  "She smiled me an invitation."
That's fairly novel, but it works. Smile could become comfortably
di-transitive if we used it that way frequently enough. Frequency
matters.
   Cognitive and functional approaches are not naive. They give very
robust explanations for all the phenomena you bring up as "proof"
against them.

Craig

Craig,