ATEG Archives

January 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 21:47:17 -0500
Scott and Bruce,

I'd like to add something that is implicit in Bruce's explanation but I
find often needs to be clarified.  The genitive/possessive distinction
is really a form/function distinction.  Genitive names the grammatical
structure, whether the case ending in Latin or the periphrastic "of"
genitive or the older English -'s genitive.  Bruce is, of course, right
that the -'s is an enclitic.  Linguists generally omit the prefix and
just call it a clitic, but this one is enclitic because it attaches to a
preceding structure rather than to a following structure as a proclitic
would.

The difference between the periphrastic and -'s genitives in English
largely a result of their history.  Old English had a case-marked
genitive, usually marked by an -s suffix although there were other
forms.  There was no of-genitive.  However, the case-marked genitive
could either precede or follow the noun it modified.  In early Middle
English, under the influence of French and also because of the general
weakening and disappearance of suffixes, the periphrastic genitive with
"of" began to develop.  I have a graph of these developments I derived
from a 1960s article by Charles Fries that I don't have a reference to
right now.  I've used in History of English and in English Grammar
classes to help explain how the genitive works today and why it behaves
as it does.  I can't attach the graph on the list-serv, but I'll provide
the Excel spreadsheet the graph is based on, and you're welcome to use
the Excel graphing functions to construct your own version.  Here are
the numerical data.  You'll need to line the columns up, of course.
What the chart shows is that the inflectional genitive after the noun it
modifies disappears almost completely by 1500AD.  The periphrastic
genitive is fairly rare until the 15th c., when it begins to appear much
more frequently.

Year	900	1000	1100	1200	1250	1300	1400	1500
Acc-obj. before verb		52.50	52.70	40.00	27.60	14.30
7.00	1.87
Acc-obj. after verb		47.50	46.30	60.00	72.35	85.70
92.00	98.13
Genitive before its noun	52.40	96.10	77.40	87.40	99.10

Genitive after its noun	47.60	30.90	22.60	12.60	0.90

Periphrastic genitive	0.50	1.00	1.20	6.30	31.40	84.50

What the chart shows is that the inflectional genitive after the noun it
modifies disappears almost completely by 1500AD.  The periphrastic
genitive is fairly rare until the 15th c., when it begins to appear much
more frequently.

I use this chart in conjunction with the following data set that I work
through in class, usually dividing the class into groups so they can do
some of their own analysis.

English genitives

Look at the following genitive constructions

1.   Jane's house
      ?the house of Jane
      ?a house of Jane
      ?the house of Jane's
      a house of Jane's

2. 	Sam's friend
      ?the friend of Sam
      a friend of Sam
      ?the friend of Sam's
      a friend of Sam's

3. 	The car's bumper
      the bumper of the car
      ?a bumper of the car
      ?the bumper of the car's
      ?a bumper of the car's

4. 	My shirt
	*the shirt of my
	*a shirt of my
	?the shirt of mine
      a shirt of mine

5.   My arm
      *the arm of my
      *an arm of my
      ?the arm of mine
      ?an arm of mine

6. 	The cup's contents
      the contents of the cup
      contents of the cup
     ?some contents of the cup (unstressed "some")
      *the contents of the cup's
      *some contents of the cup's
      contents of the cup's

How many genitive constructions does English have?
How do they differ in form?
Do they differ in grammaticality?  If so, how?
Do they differ in meaning?  If so, how?

This data set gives us a chance to explore in some depth the function
and semantics of the genitive, especially the grammar of inalienable
possession, as in the difference between the items in 4 and 5.  One of
the understandings that students arrive at fairly quickly is that
possession is only one of the possible meanings of genitive
construction.

All the best!

Herb