ATEG Archives

June 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2011 13:49:01 -0400
Dick,
    I think it's interesting that we can negate "ought to" without adding
a finite (he ought'nt to go), to my ear at least, but can't quite do
that with "used to". The only present time reference I could think of
is a different meaning sense: "That's the hose I use to water the
garden."
    Maybe 'quasi modal' means something like 'part way through the
grammaticalization process.'
    I think I would write "didn't used to", but I can't remember a
conscious attention to it. Of course, we also have "That's the hose I
didn't use to water the garden."  That usage would be clear.

Craig>

Two quotations from recently encountered novels: