ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Linda Comerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 14:11:44 -0500
I have interacted with those who hire in the business world and was
surprised (and delighted) to learn that some of them actually look for
properly used semicolons as a hiring guideline.  Given that only have so
many times are available for interviews and all candidates appear to be
equally qualified, the applicant using a semicolon correctly will be invited
for an interview over one who didn't use a semicolon at all.  "A mature
piece of punctuation"--I love that description!

In my business writing and grammar workshops, I teach the three ways to
write a compound sentence (comma with coordinating conjunction, just the
semicolon, and the semicolon followed by a conjunctive adverb and a comma).
Then, I have the participants write sentences illustrating those and read
them aloud to the class.  Most of them write excellent sentences, and they
are so pleased with themselves!  I'm a big fan of explaining a concept and
then having them practice it.  As a colleague of mine is fond of saying,
"Practice makes permanent."

Linda

Linda Comerford
317.786.6404