ATEG Archives

December 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:42:58 -0500
This message  was originally submitted by  [log in to unmask] to the ATEG
list

Dear Eric,

You're right--the first sentence has in it a noun clause serving as the
direct object of the main clause.  The second sentence has an adjective
clause functioning as a modifier of "girl," the direct object of the main
clause.

JVB

>"I don't know who(m) I saw last night".
>
>"I like the girl who(m) i saw last night.
>
>ok, the above two, to my feeble understanding, both contain relative
>clauses which are,
>1-defining
>2-and both have the relative pronoun as object
>
>therefore they should, in both cases, be capable of being omitted. Doesn't
>seem to work with sentence one.
>ok, so it looks like, in sentence one, that the relative clause is the
>object of the verb itself (know), but still, isn't it a relative clause
the
>object of the verb "saw" being "who(m)??
>
>thanks,   eric

James Vanden Bosch                      (616) 957-6592
Department of English                   [log in to unmask]
Calvin College                                     fax: (616) 957-8508
Grand Rapids, MI 49546              http://www.calvin.edu/~vand/