ATEG Archives

December 2000

From:
Herb Stahlke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 14:15:39 -0500
I don't think that knowledge of grammar as a system outside of a
social context can answer the question I raised.  Nor do I think
that, from a theoretical perspective, such a model of grammar has
much to offer.  Anyone who's done any work with natural language
processing is aware of the extent that both social and conceptual
knowledge outside of grammar is needed to understand a sentence.
I know many of my formalist colleagues would disagree, but I don't
see much of a place in the classroom--or much of anywhere else for
that matter--for non-functionalist grammar and grammar that
doesn't consider social factors.

Herb Stahlke

<<< [log in to unmask] 12/ 3  1:50p >>>
a question:

>Where did you put your keys down?
>Where did you put your keys down at?
>Where did you put your keys at?
>Where did you put your keys?
>Who were you talking to? (This isn't about who(m).)
>To whom were you talking?
>
>By exploring the injunction against sentence-final prepositions,
>they learn something about how to solve problems of grammar.  Of
>course, they can't do this without some knowledge of the content
>of grammar, and this is where the many varied and sometimes
>conflicting approaches to grammar become a problem.

Yes. I'm curious about how knowledge of grammar as a formal or
functional
system -- a bounded system outside of a social context, can help a
student
to identify possibly acceptable sentences in the options presented
above.

How would different ATEG-ers do this?

Judy

interface at: