ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2006 10:09:24 -0400
Herb,
   I was thinking of something very similar to your point about holding
off on some groups. We have the four "open classes", which constitute
most of the vocabulary of the language. Then the "somewhat closed"
classes (if we want to use this terminology) THE MOST IMPORTANT OF
WHICH ARE, which could be followed by whatever we choose as a start,
certainly prepositions and pronouns and conjunctions.
   The "to" in infinitives, "that" in content clauses (and relative
clauses if I follow your sense of it), "there" and "it" in extraposed
and cleft sentences can show up when we introduce those constructs.
Trying to memorize the categories years before they are put to use
would be silly. Like you, I'm not at all sure when that would be.
   We could introduce major categories and not imply that this is all nor
that all words have to fit.
   I would also, very quickly, deal with words that find membership in
more than one group, nouns and verbs being the most obvious. It's hard
to look at even a single page of the dictionary without finding them.
   Welcome back, by the way. We very much need your calm wisdom.

Craig >

 Dick,