ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Edward Vavra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:55:14 -0500
Craig,
First, the passives. Rarely, I think, do we teach students to USE constructions. They do so naturally. I'm amused to see your question followed by Scott's, to which I'll try to reply separately. Remember that I'm working in what I believe to be the current reality--most students are unable to identify finite verbs. If they cannot recognize them in the first place, what good does it do to "teach" passive voice. KISS introduces passives, as a concept to be learned, in fifth grade, primarily with the objective that students learn to recognize passive voice. Why? Because some teachers will tell students never to use passives (silly, but that is currently taught), and some instructors will tell students to use passive voice. Unless students can recognize passives when they see them, either "direction" is meaningless. It's my hope to include exploratory exercises on passives (uses and abuses) in the upper grades. Most of the "Practice/Application" sections in the upper KISS grades have slots for an exercise on passives. See: http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/kiss/wb/LPlans/G10_WB1.htm#Practice_1
Thus we agree, passives are "important to discourse decisions." Where we may disagree is when and how they can effectively be taught.

I don't understand how you can think that natural language development can't occur without instruction. Isn't it obvious that the sentences of older students are more complicated, especially in terms of embeddings, than the sentences of younger students? Thus, for me, the question is the purpose of instruction. I'd say that it is to help students better understand how language works. In other words, the ability to analyze sentences enables students to discuss (and thus understand) how passives, for example, work. Or how deep embedding of clauses may cause problems for readers. True, some people argue against formal instruction in language, believing that it "just happens." But just because it happens does not mean that it happens effectively, and just because they are wrong does not mean that we have to be.

Appositives -- as always, I argue that unless students are taught to recognize the things in the first place, instruction will not be very effective. Thus in KISS recognition (identification) always comes first. But KISS also includes a variety of sentence manipulation exercises and combining exercises in which students are asked to combine clauses by using an appositive, etc.

My response to your last, and most important question, is the entire KISS site. It is more or less laid out at:
http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/kiss/wb/LPlans/Overview_Levels.htm

Ed