ATEG Archives

April 2011

From:
Scott Catledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2011 10:22:00 -0400
I can say that the "pause = comma" that I was taught in 4th grade proved
quite efficacious.  I have no problem with beginning a sentence with a
dependent clause and a comma.  I explained to my students that a dependent
clause beginning a sentence was punctuated with a comma but only
nonrestrictive clauses had a comma when they followed the independent
clause.

I am waiting for the awkwardness.
Scott Catledge

Date:    Wed, 13 Apr 2011 22:39:38 -0500
From:    Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Because? Awkward? Nah

--_9c7b7b11-91af-4e3b-8e07-d5544c603f03_

Brad - I'm starting to feel as if I'm channeling you - CAN WE PLEASE HAVE S=
OME AWKWARDNESS! You've given us the well-turned phrase!

Geoff Layton

=20

Date: Wed=2C 13 Apr 2011 20:10:38 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Because? Awkward? Nah
To: [log in to unmask]

Because of you=2C there's a song in my heart
Because of you=2C our romance had its start
Because of you=2C the sun will shine
The moon and stars will say you're mine
Forever and never to part
I only live for your love and your kiss
It's paradise to be near you like this
Because of you=2C my life is now worthwhile
And I can smile=2C because of you.
=20

Date: Wed=2C 13 Apr 2011 23:12:08 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Punctuation Question
To: [log in to unmask]

Crystal:
=93It can create an awkwardly structured sentence if not done correctly=94 =
applies to pretty much any construction=2C I=92d think=3B it ends up being =
circular. The issue is whether initial because-clauses are more frequently =
awkward than non-initial ones. I suspect they=92re not=2C although getting =
some kind of outside measurement of that would be a fun headache (=93Anybod=
y got an automatic tagging program for awkwardness? Anybody?=94).  Given th=
e danger of confirmation bias in this kind of endeavor=2C one thing we prob=
ably should not rely on is intuitive judgments about how often-misused a co=
nstruction=2C or item=2C is.=20
--- Bill Spruiell

Date: Wed=2C 13 Apr 2011 12:14:35 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Geoff=2C and all=2C=20
    The reverse is equally true. Consider "Because you were late=2C we lost=
 everything" as opposed to "We lost everything because you were late." Sinc=
e losing everything seems a more important piece of information=2C the firs=
t seems smoother (more congruent with meaning) to my ear. It also allows fo=
r two pints of emphasis.=20
    Introductory word groups of all kinds (anything other than the main cla=
use grammatical subject) are recognized as marked theme in systemic functio=
nal grammar. They are intonationally marked in speech. They function as a s=
tepping off point for the mesage structure of the sentence. It is not a tri=
vial choice. Awkwardness would depend on context=2C not on some arbitrary f=
ormal rule.=20
    Unfortunately=2C English teachers tend to rely on hearing as an alterna=
tive to grammar. Saying you should put commas where you hear the pause is a=
bout as useful as "a sentence is a complete thought=2C" dangerous because i=
t oversimplifies. Intonation is a grammatical system=2C and paying attentio=
n to it leads us into the heart of syntax--more appropriately=2C into the h=
eart of the grammar-meaning connection.=20
   We don't just punctuate sentences--we construct them. The punctuation sh=
ould work in harmony with those choices. Most students don't get very far o=
n hearing alone. It is also one thing to know how you would say it=2C anoth=
er to anticipate how a reader would hear it on the basis of what you have p=
rovided (or failed to provide) as clues.=20

Craig=20
  =20

On 4/13/2011 11:49 AM=2C Geoffrey Layton wrote:=20

Date: Wed=2C 13 Apr 2011 10:38:37 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Crystal=2C=20

Your encouragement of your students is a matter of choice=2C but I don't se=
e that beginning a

sentence with "Because" is incorrect.

=20

tj

On Wednesday 04/13/2011 at 10:01 am=2C Crystal Edmonds wrote:=20

The subordinating conjunction "because" is used to link the dependent claus=
e to the independent clause. I encourage my students to place such subordin=
ate clauses at the end of the sentence so that there are no errors in comma=
 usage. However=2C many students want to begin a sentence with "because". W=
hile it is not incorrect=2C the sentence structure does appear awkward. =20

=20

Using "for" illustrates students' sentence variety. That is important for m=
e. =20

=20

=20

=20

C. Edmonds=2C Chair
Associate in Arts
English and Humanities
Robeson Community College
PO Box 1420
Lumberton=2C NC 28359
(910) 272-3700 ext. 3362
(910) 272-3328 (fax)

RCC 4 R.E.A.L.  Reading Engages Active Learning=20
A Quality Enhancement Plan at Robeson Community College
>>> On 4/13/2011 at 8:52 AM=2C in message <700D77BB392AE543B5B4455C8DB89E3A=
[log in to unmask]>=2C "Katz=2C Seth" <[log in to unmask]> =
wrote:

Traditional lists of coordinating conjunctions included "for" (hence the "F=
" in the acronym "FANBOYS" for remembering the list of coordinating conjunc=
tions)=3B but it seems to me that the use of "for" as a coordinating conjun=
ction in English has largely been succeeded by the use of "because."

I find I'm not sure here what the distinction is between a coordinating con=
junction and a subordinating conjunction. Help?

Dr. Seth Katz=20
Assistant Professor
Department of English
Bradley University

________________________________

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar To join or leave this LI=
STSERV list=2C please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.mu=
ohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG'=
s web site at http://ateg.org/To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please=
 visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ate=
g.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://=
ateg.org/=20

To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web interfac=
ve the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/=20

To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web interfac=
e at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or lea=
ve the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/=20

=20

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North =
Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an aut=
horized state official. (NCGS.Ch.132)=20
To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web interfac=
e at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or lea=
ve the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/=20
To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web interfac=
e at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or lea=
ve the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/
To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web interfac=
e at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or lea=
ve the list"=20
Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/To join or leave this LISTSERV lis=
t=2C please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/a=
rchives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"=20
=

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--_9c7b7b11-91af-4e3b-8e07-d5544c603f03_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Brad - I'm starting to feel as if I'm channeling you - CAN WE PLEASE HAVE S=
OME AWKWARDNESS! You've given us the well-turned phrase!<BR><BR>Geoff Layto=
n<BR><BR><BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>

<HR id=3DstopSpelling>
Date: Wed=2C 13 Apr 2011 20:10:38 -0700<BR>From: [log in to unmask]<BR>Su=
bject: Because? Awkward? Nah<BR>To: [log in to unmask]<BR><BR>
<META name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft SafeHTML">
<STYLE>
.ExternalClass DIV
{=3B}

</STYLE>

<DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: verdana=2C helvetica=2C sans-serif=3B FONT-SIZE:=
 12pt">
<DIV><SPAN class=3D"ecxgoog_qs-tidbit ecxgoog_qs-tidbit-0">Because of you=
=2C there's a song in my heart</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D"ecxgoog_qs-tidbit ecxgoog_qs-tidbit-0">Because of you=
=2C our romance had its start</SPAN><BR><SPAN class=3D"ecxgoog_qs-tidbit ec=
xgoog_qs-tidbit-0">Because of you=2C the sun will shine</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D"ecxgoog_qs-tidbit ecxgoog_qs-tidbit-0">The moon and sta=
rs will say you're</SPAN> mine<BR>Forever and never to part<BR>I only live =
for your love and your kiss</DIV>
<DIV>It's paradise to be near you like this<BR>Because of you=2C my life is=
 now worthwhile</DIV>
<DIV>And I can smile=2C because of you.<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: verdana=2C helvetica=2C sans-serif=3B FONT-SIZE:=
 12pt">
<DIV style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: times new roman=2C new york=2C times=2C serif=3B=
 FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><FONT size=3D2 face=3DTahoma>
<HR SIZE=3D1>
<B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">From:</SPAN></B> Geoffrey Layton &lt=
[log in to unmask]&gt=3B<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">To:<=
/SPAN></B> [log in to unmask]<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold"=
>Sent:</SPAN></B> Wed=2C April 13=2C 2011 9:19:03 PM<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"F=
ONT-WEIGHT: bold">Subject:</SPAN></B> Re: Punctuation Question - NOW AWKWAR=
DNESS?<BR></FONT><BR>
<STYLE>
.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P
{padding:0px=3B}
.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage
{font-size:10pt=3Bfont-family:Tahoma=3B}

</STYLE>
This entire thread has become a scene out of a Kafka novel! What is missing=
 here are some examples of awkwardness. Does anybody&nbsp=3B(except Crystal=
 and me) think that&nbsp=3Bbeginning a sentence with "because" can be awkwa=
rd (<STRONG><EM><U>NOT</U></EM></STRONG> incorrect - just awkward)? Nobody =
seems to want to acknowledge this point - or=2C as Bill does below - wants =
to dismiss it as a condition affecting all introductory dependent clauses. =
My own "automatic tagging program for awkwardness" tells me that "because" =
clauses cause unique problems=2C&nbsp=3Bas either an&nbsp=3Bintroduction or=
 elsewhere in the sentence. My question is now as it has been from the star=
t of this frustrating conversation - does anybody have any examples of what=
 might be called awkward "because"&nbsp=3Bconstructions=2C&nbsp=3Bor now=2C=
 since the list has apparently been expanded=2C any other "awkward"&nbsp=3B=
dependent clause constructions? Perhaps we should change the thread to a di=
scussion of awkwardness - how is created=2C how can it be corrected=2C and =
how can it be avoided? Given the paucity of information so far=2C I'll go f=
or intuitive judgments as nothing else seems to be working.<BR><BR>Geoff La=
yton<BR><BR>
<HR id=3DecxstopSpelling>
<BR>Date: Wed=2C 13 Apr 2011 23:12:08 +0000<BR>From: [log in to unmask]<BR>=
Subject: Re: Punctuation Question<BR>To: [log in to unmask]<BR><BR><B=

<STYLE>
.ExternalClass .ecxshape
{=3B}
</STYLE>

<STYLE>
.ExternalClass p.ecxMsoNormal=2C .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoNormal=2C .Externa=
lClass div.ecxMsoNormal
{margin-right:0in=3Bmargin-left:0in=3Bfont-size:12.0pt=3Bfont-family:'serif=
'=3Bcolor:black=3B}
.ExternalClass a:link=2C .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlink
{color:blue=3Btext-decoration:underline=3B}
.ExternalClass a:visited=2C .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:purple=3Btext-decoration:underline=3B}
.ExternalClass p
{margin-right:0in=3Bmargin-left:0in=3Bfont-size:12.0pt=3Bfont-family:'serif=
'=3Bcolor:black=3B}
.ExternalClass p.ecxecxswmessage=2C .ExternalClass li.ecxecxswmessage=2C .E=
xternalClass div.ecxecxswmessage
{margin-right:0in=3Bmargin-left:0in=3Bfont-size:12.0pt=3Bfont-family:'serif=
'=3Bcolor:black=3B}
.ExternalClass p.ecxecxswmessage1=2C .ExternalClass li.ecxecxswmessage1=2C =
.ExternalClass div.ecxecxswmessage1
{margin-right:0in=3Bmargin-left:0in=3Bbackground:white=3Bfont-size:12.0pt=
=3Bfont-family:'sans-serif'=3Bcolor:black=3B}
.ExternalClass p.ecxecxmsonormal=2C .ExternalClass li.ecxecxmsonormal=2C .E=
xternalClass div.ecxecxmsonormal
{margin-right:0in=3Bmargin-left:0in=3Bfont-size:12.0pt=3Bfont-family:'serif=
'=3Bcolor:black=3B}
.ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle23
{font-family:'sans-serif'=3Bcolor:#1F497D=3B}
.ExternalClass .ecxMsoChpDefault
{font-size:10.0pt=3B}
.ExternalClass ecx_filtered
{=3B}
.ExternalClass div.ecxSection1
{=3B}
</STYLE>

<DIV class=3DecxSection1>
<P class=3DecxMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'sans-serif'=3B COLOR: =
#1f497d=3B FONT-SIZE: 11pt">Crystal:</SPAN></P>
<P class=3DecxMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'sans-serif'=3B COLOR: =
#1f497d=3B FONT-SIZE: 11pt">=93It can create an awkwardly structured senten=
ce if not done correctly=94 applies to pretty much any construction=2C I=92=
d think=3B it ends up being circular. The issue is whether initial because-=
clauses are more <I>frequently</I> awkward than non-initial ones. I suspect=
 they=92re not=2C although getting some kind of outside measurement of that=
 would be a fun headache (=93Anybody got an automatic tagging program for a=
wkwardness? Anybody?=94). &nbsp=3BGiven the danger of confirmation bias in =
this kind of endeavor=2C one thing we probably should not rely on is intuit=
ive judgments about how often-misused a construction=2C or item=2C is. </SP=
AN></P>
<P class=3DecxMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'sans-serif'=3B COLOR: =
#1f497d=3B FONT-SIZE: 11pt">--- Bill Spruiell</SPAN></P>
<DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none=3B BORDER-LEFT: medium none=3B PAD=
DING-BOTTOM: 0in=3B PADDING-LEFT: 0in=3B PADDING-RIGHT: 0in=3B BORDER-TOP: =
#b5c4df 1pt solid=3B BORDER-RIGHT: medium none=3B PADDING-TOP: 3pt">
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT=
-FAMILY: 'sans-serif'=3B COLOR: windowtext=3B FONT-SIZE: 10pt">From:</SPAN>=
</B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'sans-serif'=3B COLOR: windowtext=3B FONT-S=
IZE: 10pt"> Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:ATEG@LISTS=
ERV.MUOHIO.EDU] <B>On Behalf Of </B>Crystal Edmonds<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesd=
ay=2C April 13=2C 2011 4:10 PM<BR><B>To:</B> [log in to unmask]<BR><B=
>Subject:</B> Re: Punctuation Question</SPAN></P></DIV></DIV>
<P class=3DecxMsoNormal>&nbsp=3B</P>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FA=
MILY: 'sans-serif'=3B FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Geoff and TJ=2C </SPAN></P></DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 12pt=3B MARGIN-LEFT: 0in=3B MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in" c=
lass=3DecxMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'sans-serif'=3B FONT-SIZE: =
10pt">I am not discouraging students to begin a sentence with the conjuncti=
on "because."&nbsp=3B It is not incorrect but it can create a awkwardly str=
uctured sentence if not done correctly.&nbsp=3B </SPAN></P></DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FA=
MILY: 'sans-serif'=3B FONT-SIZE: 10pt">&nbsp=3B</SPAN></P></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FA=
MILY: 'sans-serif'=3B FONT-SIZE: 10pt">C. Edmonds=2C Chair<BR>Associate in =
Arts<BR>English and Humanities<BR>Robeson Community College<BR>PO Box 1420<=
BR>Lumberton=2C NC 28359<BR>(910) 272-3700 ext. 3362<BR>(910) 272-3328 (fax=
)<BR><A href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" rel=3Dnofollow>cedmonds@robeso=
n.edu</A></SPAN></P></DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal><B><SPAN style=3D"COLO=
R: #365f91">RCC 4 R.E.A.L.</SPAN></B>&nbsp=3B <I>Reading Engages Active Lea=
rning</I> </P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>A Quality Enhancement =
Plan at Robeson Community College</P></DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FA=
MILY: 'sans-serif'=3B FONT-SIZE: 10pt">&gt=3B&gt=3B&gt=3B On 4/13/2011 at 2=
:17 PM=2C in message &[log in to unmask]&gt=3B=2C Craig Hanco=
ck &[log in to unmask]&gt=3B wrote:</SPAN></P></DIV>
<TABLE style=3D"BACKGROUND: #f3f3f3=3B MARGIN-LEFT: 11.25pt" class=3DecxMso=
NormalTable border=3D0 cellPadding=3D0>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD style=3D"PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt=3B PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt=3B PADDING-RIGH=
T: 0.75pt=3B PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">
<DIV style=3D"BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none=3B BORDER-LEFT: #050505 1pt solid=
=3B PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in=3B PADDING-LEFT: 5pt=3B PADDING-RIGHT: 0in=3B BORDE=
R-TOP: medium none=3B BORDER-RIGHT: medium none=3B PADDING-TOP: 0in">
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>Geoff=2C<BR>&nbsp=3B&n=
bsp=3B&nbsp=3B Now I'm confused. Here's what I replied to:<BR><BR>TJ - Not =
to quibble=2C but I think&nbsp=3Bthe emphasis was on "awkward=2C" not "inco=
rrect=2C" and starting a sentence with because can be considered awkward de=
pending on the useage.<BR><BR>Geoff Layton<BR><BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B =
I thought you were saying that "because" might be discouraged because it is=
 awkward to begin sentences that way.&nbsp=3B Now you are asking US for exa=
mples to back up your point. Or am I missing something?<BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B=
 I have a friend who says it's a miracle that we ever understand each other=
=2C the possibilities for misunderstanding being as great as they are. Here=
 we are as living proof.<BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Any grammatical construction=
=2C including sentences starting with "because" as the head of a subordinat=
e clause=2C will be awkward if they don't fit the discourse purposes. <BR><=
BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B I would be interested to see&nbsp=3B ex=
amples. My earlier ones were an attempt to ADD the fact that starting with =
these clauses is often well motivated. <BR><BR>Craig<BR><BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=
=3B&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B <BR><BR><BR><BR><B=
R><BR>On 4/13/2011 1:31 PM=2C Geoffrey Layton wrote: </P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>Craig=2C <BR><BR>All I=
'm asking for is to "give awkwardness a chance"! When is it awkward to star=
t a sentence with because?<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>Geoff<BR>&nbsp=3B</P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B<EM><B=
> Starting a sentence with because can be awkward. Agreed</B></EM>.<BR><BR>=
On 4/13/2011 12:32 PM=2C Geoffrey Layton wrote: </P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5pt">
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>Craig -<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR=
>The reverse of what is equally true? What are you arguing here - that&nbsp=
=3Bthe rhetorical meaning of a sentence can change depending on whether "be=
cause" starts the sentence? That is totally off the point.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BR=
e-read my post - nowhere did I argue against starting a sentence with "beca=
use" - I know the rhetorical choices involved. But you merely buttress this=
 well-established point.&nbsp=3BThat wasn't the point.&nbsp=3BInstead=2C go=
&nbsp=3Bback in your treasure trove and come up with examples of what Edmon=
ds was suggesting - namely=2C that there are awkward examples of starting s=
entences with "because" - you have many more resources than I do! Instead o=
f flaying a dead horse=2C let's advance the conversation! <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>Y=
ou point out that&nbsp=3B"awkwardness depends on context" - this is what I =
was trying to point out=2C and perhaps what Edmonds was trying to point out=
&nbsp=3B- let's address that point! When is it awkward to start a sentence =
with "because"?<BR><BR>Geoff Layton<BR><BR><BR>&nbsp=3B</P>
<DIV style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center=3B MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNorma=
l align=3Dcenter>
<HR id=3DecxstopSpelling align=3Dcenter SIZE=3D2 width=3D"100%">
</DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>Date: Wed=2C 13 Apr 20=
11 12:14:35 -0400<BR>From: <A href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" rel=3Dnofo=
llow>[log in to unmask]</A><BR>Subject: Re: Punctuation Question<BR>To: <A =
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" rel=3Dnofollow>[log in to unmask]
O.EDU</A><BR><BR>Geoff=2C and all=2C <BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B The rever=
se is equally true. Consider "Because you were late=2C we lost everything" =
as opposed to "We lost everything because you were late." Since losing ever=
ything seems a more important piece of information=2C the first seems smoot=
her (more congruent with meaning) to my ear. It also allows for two pints o=
f emphasis. <BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Introductory word groups of all ki=
nds (anything other than the main clause grammatical subject) are recognize=
d as <B>marked theme</B> in systemic functional grammar. They are intonatio=
nally marked in speech. They function as a stepping off point for the mesag=
e structure of the sentence. It is not a trivial choice. Awkwardness would =
depend on context=2C not on some arbitrary formal rule. <BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=
=3B&nbsp=3B Unfortunately=2C English teachers tend to rely on hearing as an=
 alternative to grammar. Saying you should put commas where you hear the pa=
use is about as useful as "a sentence is a complete thought=2C" dangerous b=
ecause it oversimplifies. Intonation is a grammatical system=2C and paying =
attention to it leads us into the heart of syntax--more appropriately=2C in=
to the heart of the grammar-meaning connection. <BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B We don=
't just punctuate sentences--we construct them. The punctuation should work=
 in harmony with those choices. Most students don't get very far on hearing=
 alone. It is also one thing to know how you would say it=2C another to ant=
icipate how a reader would hear it on the basis of what you have provided (=
or failed to provide) as clues. <BR><BR>Craig <BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B <BR><BR>=
On 4/13/2011 11:49 AM=2C Geoffrey Layton wrote: </P>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>TJ - Not to quibble=2C=
 but I think&nbsp=3Bthe emphasis was on "awkward=2C" not "incorrect=2C" and=
 starting a sentence with because can be considered awkward depending on th=
e useage.<BR><BR>Geoff Layton<BR><BR><BR>&nbsp=3B</P>
<DIV style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center=3B MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNorma=
l align=3Dcenter>
<HR id=3DecxstopSpelling align=3Dcenter SIZE=3D2 width=3D"100%">
</DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>Date: Wed=2C 13 Apr 20=
11 10:38:37 -0500<BR>From: <A href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" rel=3Dnofol=
low>[log in to unmask]</A><BR>Subject: Re: Punctuation Question<BR>To: <A hr=
ef=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" rel=3Dnofollow>[log in to unmask]
EDU</A><BR><BR>Crystal=2C </P>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>Your encouragement of =
your students is a matter of choice=2C but I don't see that beginning a</P>=
</DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>sentence with "Because=
" is incorrect.</P></DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>&nbsp=3B</P></DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>tj<BR><BR><BR>On Wedne=
sday 04/13/2011 at 10:01 am=2C Crystal Edmonds wrote: </P>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>The subordinating conj=
unction "because" is used to link the dependent clause to the independent c=
lause. I encourage my students to place such subordinate clauses at the end=
 of the sentence so that there are no errors in comma usage. However=2C man=
y students want to begin a sentence with "because". While it is not incorre=
ct=2C the sentence structure does appear awkward.&nbsp=3B </P></DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>&nbsp=3B</P></DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>Using "for" illustrate=
s students' sentence variety. That is important for me.&nbsp=3B </P></DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>&nbsp=3B</P></DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>&nbsp=3B</P></DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>&nbsp=3B</P></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>C. Edmonds=2C Chair<BR=
>Associate in Arts<BR>English and Humanities<BR>Robeson Community College<B=
R>PO Box 1420<BR>Lumberton=2C NC 28359<BR>(910) 272-3700 ext. 3362<BR>(910)=
 272-3328 (fax)<BR><A href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" rel=3Dnofollow>c=
[log in to unmask]</A></P></DIV>
<DIV>
<P class=3Decxmsonormal><B><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: #365f91">RCC 4 R.E.A.L.</S=
PAN></B>&nbsp=3B <I>Reading Engages Active Learning</I> </P>
<P class=3Decxmsonormal>A Quality Enhancement Plan at Robeson Community Col=
lege</P></DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>&gt=3B&gt=3B&gt=3B On =
4/13/2011 at 8:52 AM=2C in message <A href=3D"mailto:700D77BB392AE543B5B445=
[log in to unmask]" rel=3Dnofollow>&lt=3B700D77BB392AE=
[log in to unmask]&gt=3B</A>=2C "Katz=2C Seth=
" <A href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" rel=3Dnofollow>&lt=3Bseth@BUMA=
IL.BRADLEY.EDU&gt=3B</A> wrote:</P></DIV>
<TABLE style=3D"BACKGROUND: #f3f3f3" class=3DecxMsoNormalTable border=3D0 c=
ellPadding=3D0>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD style=3D"PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt=3B PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt=3B PADDING-RIGH=
T: 0.75pt=3B PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal>Traditional lists of c=
oordinating conjunctions included "for" (hence the "F" in the acronym "FANB=
OYS" for remembering the list of coordinating conjunctions)=3B but it seems=
 to me that the use of "for" as a coordinating conjunction in English has l=
argely been succeeded by the use of "because."<BR><BR>I find I'm not sure h=
ere what the distinction is between a coordinating conjunction and a subord=
inating conjunction. Help?<BR><BR>Dr. Seth Katz <BR>Assistant Professor<BR>=
Department of English<BR>Bradley University<BR><BR>________________________=
________<BR><BR>From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar on behal=
f of T. J. Ray<BR>Sent: Wed 4/13/2011 6:16 AM<BR>To: <A href=3D"mailto:ATEG=
@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU" rel=3Dnofollow>[log in to unmask]</A><BR>Subjec=
t: Re: Punctuation Question<BR><BR><BR>I believe you're right in thinking h=
e feels this is a coordinate conjunction.&nbsp=3B My understanding is that =
<BR>"because" clauses are dependent and hence should not be preceded with a=
 comma.&nbsp=3B I just<BR>wanted a number of opinions before I bring it to =
the committee's attention=2C folks who evidently<BR>don't see a problem wit=
h it as no one had marked any of these before I saw the MSS.<BR><BR>Thanks =
for your time.<BR><BR><BR><BR>On Wednesday 04/13/2011 at 5:43 am=2C "Dixon=
=2C Jack" wrote: <BR><BR>Focusing on the obvious=2C I suspect the writer be=
lieves that "because" functions as a coordinating conjunction rather than a=
 subordinating. Does the student punctuate most subordinating clauses that =
follow the independent clause this way=2C or do he make this mistake with "=
because" only?<BR><BR>I seem to remember that Martha Kolln in _Rhetorical G=
rammar_ addresses the few instances when terminal subord. clauses are set o=
ff with commas. <BR><BR>________________________________________<BR>From: A=
ssembly for the Teaching of English Grammar To join or leave this LISTSERV =
list=2C please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.ed=
u/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web s=
ite at http://ateg.org/To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit =
the list's web interface at: <A href=3D"http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives=
/ateg.html" rel=3Dnofollow target=3D_blank>http://listserv.muohio.edu/archi=
ves/ateg.html</A> and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site=
 at <A href=3D"http://ateg.org/" rel=3Dnofollow target=3D_blank>http://ateg=
.org/</A> <BR><BR></P></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQU=

<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal><BR>To join or leave t=
follow target=3D_blank>http://ateg.org/</A><BR>To join or leave this LISTSE=
RV list=2C please visit the list's web interface at: <A href=3D"http://list=
serv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html" rel=3Dnofollow target=3D_blank>http://l=
istserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</A> and select "Join or leave the lis=
t" </P>Visit ATEG's web site at <A href=3D"http://ateg.org/" rel=3Dnofollow=
 target=3D_blank>http://ateg.org/</A> <BR></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FA=
MILY: 'sans-serif'=3B FONT-SIZE: 10pt">To join or leave this LISTSERV list=
=2C please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/ar=
chives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" </SPAN></P><SPAN style=
=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'sans-serif'=3B FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Visit ATEG's web site at =
http://ateg.org/ </SPAN><BR>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FA=
MILY: 'sans-serif'=3B FONT-SIZE: 10pt">&nbsp=3B</SPAN></P>
<DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FA=
MILY: 'sans-serif'=3B FONT-SIZE: 10pt">E-mail correspondence to and from th=
is address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may =
be disclosed to third parties by an authorized state official. (NCGS.Ch.132=
) </SPAN></P></DIV>
<P style=3D"MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt" class=3DecxMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: =
windowtext">To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's =
web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select =
 ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ </SPAN><BR></DIV>To join or leave this=
 LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv=
.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit AT=
EG's web site at http://ateg.org/<BR>To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C=
Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/<BR></DIV></DIV></DIV>To join or l=
eave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web interface at: http:/=
/listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"=
=20
Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/<BR>
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--_9c7b7b11-91af-4e3b-8e07-d5544c603f03_--

End of ATEG Digest - 13 Apr 2011 (#2011-80)