ATEG Archives

November 2001

From:
Greta Vollmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 07:39:06 -0800
Forgive me if this has been previously mentioned, as I haven't had time
to keep up with my readings of the Digest!  But a mention of Language
Myths prompted me to mention this resource, which I use as an
additional text in my History & Structure of English class.  (Don't ask
me why they're lumped together; it's a sore spot with me!)

In any case, it's a small paperback in which a variety of commonly
held "language myths" are addressed in short essay format by linguists.
It's great for changing students' perspectives on language, grammar,
language change, etc.  ( I use it with credential track undergrads;
I don't think it would work with high school students.)

The myths range from grammatical considerations to spelling to
more sociolinguistics concerns.  Examples:  Some languages have
no grammar, Americans are ruining English, children who speak
AAVE are verbally deprived, double negatives are illogical,
English spelling is catastrophic, the meanings of words should
not be allowed to change, etc.    I'm citing these from memory
so they may be a bit awkwardly phrased, but that's the gist.

Here are the specifics:  Language Myths, edited by L. Bauer
and P. Trudgill, Penguin Books (IBSN# 0140260234)

Greta Vollmer

Greta Vollmer, Asst. Professor          Sonoma State University
Department of English                   1801 E. Cotati Ave.
Phone: (707) 664-2504                   Rohnert Park, CA  94928-3609
Fax:     (707) 664-4400