ATEG Archives

January 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 23:12:54 -0500
Scott,

As always with tense and aspect questions, a little more context might clarify the sentence.  Certainly "was" would work in the first clause, but the choice between "was" and "had been" depends also on the writer's perspective on the time of these states or events.  If the writer's temporal stance is the time of the second clause, 330 years previous, then the past perfect may say what he wants to say.  If his temporal stance is today, then the past perfect is expressing its "remote past" function and could be replaced with "was" if specification of remote past is not important to the writer.

At least that's how I read it.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English